Chapter Thirty-Three

"Run!" I pulled Hanai up and was relieved when he could stand on his own. We dashed down the steps and darted to the right. Fueled by adrenaline, I sprinted to the far corner of the house next door. I pushed Hanai further into the shadows behind me, feeling for the knife at my belt.

"Back here," Hanai whispered, the words startling me. He disappeared into the shadows under a deep eave. I crawled beside him, twisting just as the sentry vehicle skidded to a stop in front of the house.

Adam's sandy curls were unmistakable. His eyes, sharp and alert, swept both sides of the street as he leaped from the car. He looked at something in his palm, and then turned his gaze on the front door of the house we'd just exited.

I lost sight of him as he sprinted toward the porch. The creaking wood shattered the stillness. Problem #1: The paths in the dust. Problem #2: Felix, bound and shot in the basement. Problem #3: Adam could read minds.

"We can't stay here," I whispered.

Hanai groaned. "I know, but I'm c-cold."

I cupped his cheek in my palm and infused him with heat. "Come on. We can't stay here."

We slithered out of the eaves, and Hanai was halfway across the backyard before I turned to follow.

"Gabby?" Adam asked.

I froze, barely daring to breathe. Hanai motioned to me from the edge of the adjoining yard. I pressed back into the shadows, desperate for them to protect me. A light steam rose from my skin and billowed out of my mouth.

"Gabby?" Adam's voice came again, nearer now. Before I could run, Adam appeared at the edge of the house.

In an explosion of panic and fear, I raced toward the street where the ground was flat and hard.

"Gabby." Though Adam whispered, his voice resounded in my soul.

I focused on pushing myself faster. Silently, I begged Hanai to find me again. I darted off the sidewalk when Adam's heavy sentry boots started slapping the pavement behind me. A fence loomed in front of me, and I jumped. I had just scrambled over when Adam leaped.

"Wait! Please." Adam used the air to lift himself to the top of the fence. Cheater.

I didn't answer, already running through the yard to the far fence. I clawed at it, my breath coming in wheezes. A hand clamped around on my right foot. I kicked out hard, losing my shoe.

I fell backward over the fence, and pain coursed through my already bruised tailbone. My robes ripped. But the fence separated me from Adam. Refusing to simply wait for him to kill me, I launched flames toward him, stumbled to my feet, and ran.

He was faster than me and uninjured. He edged closer. I wove back toward the street, but his breath coated my neck.

He slammed his whole body weight into mine, sending us both sprawling to the ground. I screamed and kicked, bit and struggled to get up. Hot tears ran down my face as I batted his hands away from my shoulders so he couldn't force me down.

"Stop it! Tornadoes! Gabby, knock it off!" He pinned me to the ground with his knees around my hips, straddling me the same way Felix had. A fury I didn't know I possessed surged.

The storm inside broke.

"Get off!" I shoved him hard, fire exploding out when I touched him. He sailed backward, the orange flames licking over his black clothes without hurting him. I didn't wait to see if he got up.

I ran again, past dark houses, lit torches, and everything in between. I ran and ran, focusing my breathing and letting the caged-in feelings fly away, the way I used to in the forests of Crylon.