Chapter Thirty-Two

I clapped, but my fire did absolutely nothing. "Come on!" I tried again, this time igniting both palms with bright flames and casting an eerie glow on the two men grappling across the room. Neither of them seemed to have a gunshot wound.

Hanai still held the weapon, his fingers white with exertion. Felix had one fist cemented to Hanai's, trying to wrest the gun away. His other fist pummeled Hanai everywhere. Stomach. Mouth. Shoulder.

I extinguished the flames and squeezed my eyes shut. When I opened them again, my therma-vision blinked to life.

Hanai grunted again, his head snapping back with a sickening crunch. Still, he held onto the gun.

Unsure of what to do, I dashed toward the bed, looking for anything that could be used as a weapon. But this basement held very little—only the bed and the blanket.

The gun went off again, and I pressed my hands over my ears. Hanai's wail registered behind my palms, along with Felix's high, cruel laughter.

I grasped the red blanket on the bed. I flung it over Felix and leaped on his back. Wrapping my arms around his stout middle, I pulled the ends of the blanket behind him and tied them together. My hands should've hurt. My wrists hadn't healed. But I couldn't feel anything or hear anything. All I knew was that Hanai would die if I did nothing.

Felix swore and thrashed, sending me to the hard cement. The pain in my tailbone barely registered. I swiped his feet out from under him, and he fell amidst a shout of surprise. Tangled in the blanket, he squirmed and kicked. His boot connected with my stomach as he succeeded in flinging off the blanket, and the air in my lungs rushed out.

The therma-vision faded, but I willed it to remain. Gasping for breath, I touched Felix's ankle. His body heat flooded my senses. My vision returned, my body burned with more heat than I could endure. Still, I didn't remove my hand. Felix shivered and stilled, his heat now mine.

Carefully, I reached toward his now-limp hand and extracted the gun. It felt so dirty. Even worse than how grimy and used I felt after Felix's wandering hands and intrusive tongue. My hand shook as I gripped the firearm. The metal held heat from being discharged. Automatically, my body stole the warmth, leaving me nauseated. Guns were so sentry—and that was worse than being a girl.

Hanai stumbled to my side, clutching his shoulder. "Let's go."

I sent the gun clattering to the cement where Hanai bent to retrieve it. "We can't leave him armed," he panted, pushing me in front of him. "Now, go. I'll take care of him."

"Take care of him?" My voice came out too high, scratching through my throat. I wiped my face with a dirty hand. I doubted I would ever feel clean again.

"I'm not going to kill him. Just make it hard for him to follow us." Hanai groaned, and my gaze shifted from his drawn face to the wound near his elbow. The blood appeared bright crimson in my therma-vision, pulsing in blinding waves of red.

"I'll do it," I said. "You go lie down upstairs. I'll be up in a minute."

Before Hanai could answer, he collapsed. His head thunked against the unforgiving floor. The gun slid toward the far wall.

"Hanai!" I knelt next to him and felt his pulse. I looked up and saw Felix's pack leaning against the end of the bed.

I quickly crossed to it and pulled out the Element cancellers. After Felix's hands were bound, I retrieved my knife from his belt, suppressing a shudder when I touched him. I cut a corner from the blanket and sprinted upstairs. The tap in the kitchen spurted out rusty-brown water, but it would have to do.

Downstairs, Felix was awake and struggling against the cancellers. His eyes broadcasted hatred. I dragged Hanai a short distance away and washed the blood off his arm. Once the bullet hole was revealed, I ground my teeth together and focused my Element.

The hot, white light blinded me with the therma-vision on. It clicked off as I pressed my fingertip to Hanai's arm. Lucky thing he was out cold. The pain from cauterizing the wound would've sent him into unconsciousness.

Felix chuckled. "You think you can get him out of here?"

I didn't answer. Hanai weighed more than me, and those stairs were blazing steep.

In the dark, Felix yelped in triumph—he must've gotten free. I scrambled toward the gun, which lay somewhere near the far wall. Groping, sweeping, I desperately searched for the kiss of steel. Felix's boots came closer, tentative.

I kept my therma-vision off, the panic building into a sob. Felix was so close, I could feel the heat from his body.

"Where are you, sweetheart?" he whispered. I felt the wind as he reached out, feeling in the empty space to locate me.

Finally, my fingers touched the delicious metal. I gripped the gun and stood, blinking on my therma-vision.

Felix stumbled backward when he saw the embers of my eyes. A sick smile twisted his waxy face. He took a step forward.

"I'll shoot you," I warned, a storm of emotions raging inside. "Don't come any closer."

Felix chuckled quietly, his eyes never leaving mine. "I don't think you will, Gabriella. You're not a killer. You don't want to be like Adam."

His words hit me like a punch in the gut. Survival battled with morals. In my head, I heard Adam say, It's you or him. Felix took another deliberate step.

I aimed. And fired.

Felix roared with rage and pain. His legs buckled beneath him, and he clutched the bleeding left one just below the kneecap. He barred the way between me and Hanai, so I shuffled toward the stairs until I could scoot around him.

Stuffing the gun in my jeans pocket, I pulled Hanai up. He promptly slumped to the floor again. "Come on, Hanai. I need you to wake up. Your Councilman demands it."

He remained limp.

Felix actually had the gall to laugh, though it sounded pained. "Bodies are always heavier when they're dead."

"Shut up." I felt for a pulse. Hanai's fluttered through his neck too fast, but steady.

Summoning all the strength I possessed, I heaved his arm over my shoulders and managed to stand up with him half-draped over my body.

I concentrated on taking one step at a time. Felix jeered and swore and called me filthy names. It seemed like hours before I shrugged Hanai to the floor in the kitchen upstairs.

The doorway to the basement held darkness and fear, but I had to go back down. Felix's voice had silenced, even when I returned. I grabbed the blanket and swept the ropes from the floor beside the bed.

Upstairs, I spread the blanket over Hanai and rolled him in it before pulling him toward the front door. My movement created the only sound. Terror clogged in my nose, but I managed to move Hanai to the front porch after ten minutes of back-breaking dragging.

I returned to the kitchen and pulled the door shut. Then I tied one end of the rope to the doorknob, and the other end around the basement doorknob, pulling it taut.

I jumped out the window above the sink and ran toward the front of the house. The street lay dormant. The windows of the house next door glowed with a single candle buried deep within. The closest outdoor light illuminated the corner in a halo of orange a hundred yards away.

Hanai rolled and moaned.

"Holy blazes, Hanai, wake up," I begged, more to myself than to him. Another groan escaped his throat. I knelt over him and checked his pulse. Status: Throbbing.

"Hanai? Can you stand up?"

He rolled, further tangling himself in the blanket. I helped him kick it off. He tried to raise his left arm, but cried out in pain.

I wanted to help him, but a loud buzzing covered his wail.

A vehicle.

A sentry vehicle.