Chapter Nineteen

Commander Waite-Kidd hurried into his quarters, reviewing his Adjutants halo orders as he walked, 'We've not got much time can you....' He caught his breath, his instructions faltering as Lydia stepped into view. 

He distractedly signed off the halo plate and waived the assistant away.  

The appearance of the elegant woman who stood so confidently before was perplexing. Was this Lydia? He cast his mind back to their last meeting. He hadn't appreciated it before but she was actually a head taller than he was. Instead of the thinning gangly, slightly stooping girl he recalled, Lydia now stood assuredly before him. She had filled out and grown another inch or two. Released from its pony tail her hair folded in ruffles over her shoulders, its curling locks turned a stunning golden colour by a reaction to the Alamut sun. Waite-Kidd now saw in her deeply tanned face a bold Rubinesque beauty that he had not noticed before.  

'Commander.' Lydia acknowledged him. Her eyes held the look of a determined woman who was not going to be intimated by his brusque manner. As she moved toward him her long flowing dress shimmered with radiant colours that fused together then broke into waves of glistening light like the ripples in the sea in the late afternoon sun. In her hands she held a baton shaped piece of metal, etched with intricate carvings. 

Aware that both Faulke and Lydia were standing staring at him, the Commander tore his gaze from her. Suddenly embarrassed he blustered, 'You have it then?' 

Lydia appeared not to notice his reddening face and handed the Aephren to him, 'We have it, Commander.' 

Waite-Kidd weighed it up, it was still warm from Lydia's hands. It was heavier than he expected, he spun it experimentally a few times through his fingers. 'How does it work?' 

Faulke gave him a sharp look of reproach and held his hand up to silence him.  

The Commander was blunt in his assessment. 'I see, you don't know. I'd have given it to my technicians, maybe they could have worked it out but I fear time has run out on us. The Swarm are likely to be here at any moment.' 

'It's undergone significant investigation over the last three thousand years by the Halout so I don't suppose we'll unravel its secrets even if we had the time.' Faulke remarked. 

'Well then, that's it then I suppose.' The Commander put his hand to his forehead and slowly shook his head, 'we'd all put a lot of hope in this, somewhat over-optimistically it appears. Now I come to look at it the whole adventure was a foolish enterprise.' 

'Was it?' Lydia took the Aephren from Waite-Kidd. 'There are many things we have not foreseen so far Commander, yet here we are, the unlikeliest of companions bought together by the most unlikely of events. Let us not presume it has all been to no purpose.' 

'I agree Lydia but I'd expected.... 'Waite-Kidd waved his hands exasperatedly in the air, '...something more substantial.' 

'I think we all did, however this is what we have retrieved and we must believe the trip was worth the difficulties we've encountered. I'm even surer now the Nergalrhod has given us the best hope. What do you want me to do?' 

Waite-Kidd was about to offer his thoughts on the Nergalrhod when the door abruptly opened. A Navigator, his face drawn thin with nerves stared for a second at Lydia and then turned to the Commander, 'The enemy are emerging form the Extensivity, Sir. We need you on the bridge.'  

The Commander picked up his jacket, slipped it on, clipped the high buttons up round his neck then pulled it straight on his solid frame. 'Do whatever you feel is necessary Lydia, there's still time to get you back on the planet's surface, I can arrange that. You'll be safer there than here. I can't spare Faulke to take you I'm afraid, I need him with me.'