Chapter 1 ~ Once in a Lifetime

Start from the beginning

I squeezed my eyes shut trying to rid my mind of the metal replay of that event. We no longer have to worry about him though. He left when I was 10, five years ago. He had an affair with "a woman of the night" my mother would call her. Once my mother found out he immediately left us and went with the new woman. We haven't seen him since, the only thing I have left of him is a small scar that runs through my right eyebrow.
Life has been better since the day he left, but he was our only source of money for survival. Shortly after he left my mother found out she was pregnant with my sister. Soon after Yui's second birthday my mother became very ill and couldn't work anymore so we went bankrupt. Since then, I was 13 at the time, I've been working two part-time jobs, bringing in enough money to pay for food, water, hygiene products, the things needed to survive. But I haven't raised enough money to pay for that, and pay for medication for my mother.

I've recently been able to control my quirk, Ninja, a mix of both my parents quirks, well enough to have a possible chance at making it into U.A. high, but I missed my chance this year. All I can do for my mother now is continue to work those jobs and hope for the best. She says she's proud of me, but I can't help but think that there's something more I should be doing for her. "There's always the chance to try our next year" my mother would always tell me, but honestly I don't know if she has that much time. I shook my head trying to ignore the negative thoughts running through my head and began to focus on the task at hand, groceries.

After 5 more minutes of walking I finally made it to the store, it was a small grocery shop and was relatively cheap which I was very grateful for. I made my way down every isle collecting the necessities needed. I was looking at the cereals when I heard a scream and a loud crash coming from the front of the store. I quietly made my way up to the front of the store where I saw not one, but two villains robbing the cash. A woman and her child were held at gun point while the cashier was beginning to open up the register.
'What do I do...' I thought as I witnessed the scene in front of me. I quickly took out my phone and dialled 911 and gave the name and the store and gave them a brief summary of the situation. Once I hung up one of the villains turned to his partner. "What's the fun in robbing a place if no blood is shed" he immediately turned to the woman and her child and smiled widely "You two look like the perfect candidates" he said as he aimed the gun towards the woman's head. She screamed in fear and Before I could think I shot forward towards him and reached for his gun. Activating my quirk I placed my entire hand on his pistol and released loads of energy out of my hand just as he pulled the trigger, causing the gun to explode into pieces. The force also sent the man flying backwards and knocking into his partner. "Aahhgg..." I winced in pain as I looked at my hand which had been burned. 'I've never been able to blow something up before' I was amazed at what I just did. "What the fuck!" My eyes snapped back to the two villains who were now getting back on their feet.
During my quirk activation, streaks of fluorescent bluish-green colour cover my body in a wavy and eccentric pattern, from my toes up my legs, along my sides, stomach, and back, up into my arms and into my hands that end in a swirl pattern in my palms, and up my neck onto my face that end at the outer corners of my eyes. My turquoise coloured eyes also become more fluorescent when my quirk is activated.
(I'm sorry if that's hard to visualize!! It's the best I could describe it!)
I stretched my arms out to cover the woman and her child behind me (which didn't work that well considering I'm a tiny, 5 foot 2 inch girl that weighs 115lbs) I heard the sobs of the girl behind me and tried my best to hide the fear I was feeling in that moment. The second villain growled and raised his gun up and aimed at me. I froze in shock. "This bitch needs to DIE!" He yelled as he tightened his grip on the gun. 'Shit, shit, shit! If I move these two will get shot' I thought to myself as I looked back at them. The child looked up at me, tears filling her eyes and falling down her tear soaked cheeks. I squeezed my eyes shut and turned my head back to looked at the villains. I looked up at them with fearful eyes. A tear slipped down my cheek as I closed my eyes and prepared for what was to come next.
But what I heard next wasn't a gun shot, what I heard was the curses of the two villains and the sound of their bodies hitting the ground. I slowly began to open my eyes and looked at the villains on the ground.
"It's okay now, because I am here!!"
My eyes widened in shock, I know that voice. I quickly glanced up at the man who took both villains out in less than 3 seconds.
"All M-might..." I managed to mumble out.
The police quickly ran in and cuffed the villains and escorted them outside. I straightened up from my protective stance and continued to stare at the hero before me. He began to walk over and I began to panic. 'Oh my god he's walking over, he's walking over' I blushed a deep red and tried to calm my nerves. He put a hand on my shoulder "Are you alright young lady?" I managed to calm myself down enough to reply shyly "u-um yeah I'm f-fine" he nodded his head and reached over to help the woman and her daughter up. "And how about you two, are you alright?" She picked her daughter up and gave her a tight hug. "Y-yes, we both are, thanks to you" she said as she looked over at me. "That was truly amazing what you did there, if it weren't for you then that man would've for sure shot us!" She exclaimed as a few tears fell down her face. I blushed and waved my hands in front of me "o-oh it was nothi-" I was cut off when the woman embraced me in a tight hug. I resisted at first but then returned the hug. "Thank you s-so much!" She said between sobs. "Y-you're welcome" I said as I patted her back trying to calm her down.
Soon after the woman and her child, after thanking me 5 more times, were escorted back to their home. "That was a very brave thing you did today" I looked up at him and smiled. "I knew I had to do something, I couldn't watch those guys kill innocent people" He looked down at me. "What you did with that pistol, you must have an amazing quirk!" He said giving me the thumbs up. "O-oh yeah it's not that amazing though..." I turned my head to look outside the store and scratched the back of my neck nervously. "Why don't I escort you home and you can tell me more about it, that is if you don't mind" I looked at him surprised, "o-oh yeah sure!" I said a little too excitedly. "U-um excuse me miss.." We turned to the voice coming from behind us. The cashier from earlier had her hand stretched out with my bags of groceries I had come to get. "Here's your groceries... Oh! And I want you to have them for free! I can't thank you enough for what you did today!" I gave her a toothy grin, "a-are you sure? This is a lot of food!" She nodded her head reassuringly "yes! Please!" I grabbed the bag from her and thanked her before being guided out by All Might and began walking home.

We walked in silence for 5 minutes before I broke the silence. "O-oh I forgot! You wanted to know more about my quirk!" All Might turned to me and smiled "only if it's ok with you!" He said nervously. "Well, I'm a hybrid, I received a quirk that has both the characteristics of my mother's and my father's quirk. It's called Ninja, aaaaand basically the name describes half of it, my stealth and sneaking ability is increased majorly, and my speed I can increase from 10-50x faster than the average human's speed, I'm only able to get to 10x, but if I work hard enough at it my mother says it's possible to make it higher than 50 an-" I paused when I realized I was beginning to ramble on. "S-sorry I'm rambling" I laughed nervously. All Might gave me a reassuring smile and motioned for me to continue. "Right.. and the other half of my quirk is pretty interesting. I can take the energy the flows through out my body and manifest it greatly, it becomes pure physical energy that I can shoot out of any part of my body. It increases the strength of my attacks by a lot, I don't know how much if I use all of my energy" I looked at my injured hand that was wrapped up, "but I found out today that I only used only 15% of my entire energy, that's equal to about 20x stronger than the average human strength, and even that took a painful toll on my body." All Might looked forward and processed all that I had just told him.
"It sounds to me that you have quite the quirk, if you don't mind me asking, why didn't I see you at the U.A. entrance exam? I believe you could've had a great chance of making it in there" I shot my head up at him. "R-really! You think so!?" He nodded his head and smiled. "W-well, I've always wanted to but..." I tilted my head down and looked at the side walk, I watched as we walked in sync. "I've been very busy taking care of my mother and my sister, my mother, she's very ill and hasn't been able to work for the past two years, so I've taken her place. I'm currently working two part time jobs, and attending school whenever I can to keep up with my education, so I haven't had much time to think about becoming a hero or going to U.A." I sighed and looked back up at All Might. He had a sad expression on his face.  "I'm sorry you've had to endure all of that struggle..." he said as he placed his hand on my shoulder. I nodded and sighed. "I know that if I could've gotten into a hero school like U.A." I placed my hands in front of me and squeezed my fists together, "t-then I know that I could become a hero and earn the money to help get my mom the medication she needs." We walked in silence until we made it to my house. "Young Mei, if it's not too much to ask, is it alright if I come in and speak to your mother? I'd like to thank her for raising such a kind young woman." I smiled and blushed. "O-oh yeah! Of course!" I turned around and opened the door to my house. I looked at my phone, it read 6 pm. "Hey Mum!" She sat up from laying on the couch, "oh hey hun you're back!" She have me a gentle hug. "Yeah, okay um don't freak out but..." I pointed to All Might who waved and smiled. "Hello Ms Mei".

After calming my mom down I made us all some tea and joined the two of them at the table. All Might explained to her the event that took place today and explained how proud he was to see me save those people. My mother was very proud too, giving me tight hugs through the conversation. "Another reason I wanted to come speak to you was to offer Mei a great opportunity" we both looked at him, surprised. "Mei told me about the situation your family is in, and I'd like to offer Mei a spot in U.A's Hero class" I shot up. "What?!" My mother placed her hands over her mouth, "really?" She said as tears began to well up in her eyes. "I believe Mei has great potential to become an amazing hero. Her hard work and determination is only part of becoming a hero. I believe her quirk can be used to save many people in the future."
Both me and my mother accepted his offer and continued to thank him over and over again. It was now 7:45 pm and it was time for All Might to head out. My mother said her goodbyes and once again thanked him before heading back into the kitchen. All Might stepped outside and turned to me. "Thank you again All Might, I cant thank you enough for this amazing opportunity." He nodded and smiled. "I'll be looking forward to seeing you in class on Monday" I gave him a thumbs up which he gladly returned.

I shut the door behind him as he walked out and down the sidewalk. I would receive all the necessary items needed for class on Sunday.

I ran to my room and jumped onto my bed shoving my face into my pillow. In 3 days, I'll be attending the most prestigious high school in the country.

'How in the hell did I pull this miracle outta my ass' I thought as I slowly drifted to sleep.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Omg yaaayyyyyy!!! I'm so proud of this first chapter! I'm sorry for it being so long! I don't think any of my other chapters will be that long. I hope not anyway. But I hope you enjoyed this chapter!  I'm going to try update on a daily basis, if I don't then it shouldn't be more than a week or so until I update. Thanks!!!