Orphans - Roman & Virgil & Logan & Patton

Start from the beginning

"Roman, you okay, Kiddo?" Patton's voice called through the silence. The courageous boy didn't reply for awhile, he stared out the cracked window, luckily during the summer it created a cool breeze throughout the room, so he didn't let it bother him.

"I'm fine, Pat" he sighed out, kicking the blanket off his back so the wounds have some air. A silence settled across the room full of kids who couldn't sleep in fear a worker would come in, nightmares haunting their minds when they finally passed out from exhaustion. They all wondered why no one tried to save them, but they were told countlessly children without parents are worthless, so maybe that was it. Maybe no one saved them because no one cared.

Easing himself up from the bed, Virgil needed some air. Padding to the window, he leaned on the cold class, fiddling with the lock that kept the window closed securely. Bending down, he yanked it in different directions, suddenly curious about how a lock fitted to this part of the window - being the bottom wooden bar - could keep the window shut.

Tilting his head, he let the lock go and dug the tips of his fingers under the old wood as far as he could, using all his strength to tug upwards. After letting out a few grunts, it moved, making him freeze in place. Glancing down, he gasped, peeking his eye through the small gap, breeze blowing against his face.

Spinning around, he headed to a bed he knew was broken, the child laying on it watching him curiously as he grabbed a metal bar from the headboard, using it as a crowbar to push open the window. As he struggled, Logan headed over, trying to help him out, along came Patton, and Roman, other kids slowly walking over to, helping as much as they could to yank the metal bar down.

With effort, the window slid upwards, creating a large enough gap for anyone to slip through. The kids stared in amazement, finally glancing up at Roman who was sort of the leader. Poking his head out, he breathed in fresh air, smiling widely.

"Grab all the blankets, now-"

"Wait" Logan cut him off, stopping the kids from rushing to their beds.

"Do you think you can go anywhere with those injuries? We must wait at least two days before you can move around properly. And we need a plan, I know freedom seems close now, but when we are all out there, fifty kids running down the empty street - bare in mind it is at least a three mile walk before we see reach the town - do you think no one will notice? We need a plan, and we will make it tomorrow after our chores. Understood?"

Logan flicked his eyes across their faces, smiling as they all nodded. "Greet, now, we should close the window, and sleep, we must gather as much energy as possible"

Looks like Logan was too, a leader.

The next morning the kids woke up, standing at the end of their bed as per usual. Usually, Roman ignores this rule and stays in bed, but due to the fact he couldn't go through anymore abuse at the moment, he slumped at the end of his bed, crossing his arms angrily.

The door opened, and in walked the boss of this place. A tall, plumb, scary looking woman, a whip in hand in case anyone played up. Smiling at them all, they could see the hidden evil lying underneath, her "sweet smiles" were never to be trusted.

Finally, she stopped at Roman, scanning him up and down.

"Looks like you're finally playing along" she scoffed, leaning close to his face, he didn't back down, glaring straight back into her dark eyes. "Keep it up, or else"

Standing up straight, she looked at Virgil who avoided her eye, playing with his hands behind his back, breathing in and out deeply. "Stupid mute" she muttered, making him flinch and look down. She sauntered back to the doorway, standing up straight, scanning over each of them.  "Today, one of you mutts will be adopted. He's a single man, and says he wants some "company" but don't get comfortable, you'll be sent back once he realises you're pathetic and dumb" with that, she turned on her heel and left the room.