Chapter 5

Naruto's p.o.v:

First, I thought that Gaara hasn't changed at all since I last saw him but he proved me wrong. He's still acting a little cold but I think he's a really nice guy! He even showed us the way to the Kazekage's office! I always knew that he wasn't a bad guy. After all he's just like me! We had a similar past so I could understand his behavior very well. Even though I probably would've acted differently but that's just my personality.

Before I could even realize it we were already at the Kazekage's office. Gaara led us inside and after walking up some stairs and turning around some corners we stood in front of the Kazekage. I bowed immediately and the little ninjas behind me did as well. <<Good day, lord Kazekage.>> I said as I lifted myself up again. <<You're the four genins from Konohagakure, right? Thank you for coming, we need all the help we can get.>> Oh no.. he mentioned that I was still a genin and Gaara was in the room! Judging from his clothing he's already a jonin. That means he's two ranks above me! Great, now he'll never take me seriously... <<Yes, that's right. We're here to help you out a bit>> I told him with a smile. <<Good, I'll immediately send a letter to lady Tsunade to tell her you arrived. Gaara? Do you, Temari and Kankuro have plans for the next few days?>> I looked at Gaara, seeing that he shook his head <<No, why?>> <<I'll need the three of you. You'll be helping at the reconstruction as well as these genins. They'll be sleeping at your apartments and you'll be responsible for them as long as they're here. You and Kankuro will look after one and Temari will be responsible for two since she can handle little kids pretty well.>> I tried to remember the Temari I know but I can't really imagine her handling kids that well. I wouldn't want to be at her place. She's scary!

<<Understood. When should we start?>> Being at Gaara's wouldn't be that bad I guess but he's still a bit weird sometimes. He often has this look on his face that I couldn't quite categorize. And I'm still not sure if he even likes me. <<You'll start working the day after tomorrow. I'd like to give the genins a little break before they start with their work. You could show them the village tomorrow. They'll probably stay for a few days so they should know the place.>> <<Alright, we'll get going then>> After that we bowed down and left the office.

As we exited the building we were already greeted by Temari and Kankuro. It looks like they'd been waiting for us. <<Hey, Temari, Kankuro! We were just speaking to the Kazekage. He told us to help at the reconstruction work as well as these konoha ninjas, but they have nowhere to sleep yet so the Kazekage decided that they'll be sleeping at our apartments. Me and Kankuro take one and you'll take two, Temari.>> Temari looked at us carefully, probably deciding on who she'll allow to stay at her apartment. <<Alright as long as I don't have to take Naruto or that brat with the scarf. They look like trouble.>> <<Hey! I'm no trouble!>> I shouted but no one seemed to hear me. <<Well, I think it's fair that you get to choose since you have to take two of them>> Kankuro admitted. <<Alright then it's decided. Come, I'll show you my apartment.>> Temari turned around with Moegi and Udon following her. <<See you tomorrow!>> they shouted and waved at us as they were walking off.

Now it was only me, Konohamaru, Gaara and Kankuro. <<Well, I don't care. They're both brats so it doesn't really make a difference which one I have to take.>> Kankuro said, leaving the choice to Gaara. <<Alright, then I'll take Naruto and you get that little impulsive brat.>> I didn't know why but somehow, I was very happy that he chose me. Probably because I know we shared the same past. And somehow, I was still very curious about Gaara. He was so mysterious and I wanted to find out more about him.

Konohamaru scoffed as Gaara called him that but he didn't say anything. It's probably because he knew that he was right about him. <<Okay, then. Goodbye you two! Konohamaru was it, right? Let's go.>> <<Yeah!>> Konohamaru happily agreed and ran after Kankuro. Suddenly Gaara turned around and looked at me. He observed me carefully and after some time a blush started to form on my cheeks. <<So, what do you wanna do Naruto? Are you tired?>> he suddenly asked. I didn't know if I imagined it but his voice seemed to be soft and welcoming. That was something I didn't expect from him. <<U-uh.. Yeah I guess.. It was a long journey after all..>> <<Right, let's go to my apartment then.>> He began walking and checked if I followed him. I turned up at his side and together we went to his apartment.