| Chapter 10, Two strangers

Start from the beginning

Silence followed and when the man finally did answer it was as if he hadn't heard Minho at all.

'Not all Cranks are gone,' he said. 'Not all of them are past the Gone.'
Nervously I shifted on my feet, the way he was talking about the virus, as if it was some sort of place, was making me feel sick.
'Different ones at different levels. Best you learn who to make friends with and who to avoid. Or kill. Better learn quick if you're coming our way.'
'What's your way?' Minho asked. 'You came from that town, right? Is that where all the Cranks live? Is there food and water there?'
'If you don't have it yet, you'll have it soon. Same with the other Group. The ones that're suppose to kill you,' the woman said.
And as much as I hated that she didn't answer our questions she did just share a valuable detail with us.

Suddenly the two strangers turned around and took off, their feet leaving a pattern in the sand, dust coming off their heels.
We were all stunned with silence until finally Leon spoke. 'Other group?' He asked.
'Group B,' Thomas said. 'Wonder if they already made it to the town.'
'Hello,' Minho snapped. 'Who cares? You'd think the little part about them supposedly killing us would be the attention getter. Maybe this stuff about the Flare?'
I turned to Thomas who looked uneasy. 'Maybe when she said "you" she didn't mean all of us,' he said and pointed at his neck. 'Maybe she meant me specifically. Couldn't tell where she was looking.'
'How's she gonna know who you are?' Minho replied. 'Plus, doesn't matter. If someone tries to kill you, or me, or anyone else, they might as well try to get all of us. Right?'
I nodded and put my hand on Thomas his shoulder. 'Right,' I said.

'Well, what do we do now?' A Glader who I believed was called Jack, asked.
'What do you think?' Newt replied but he was looking at Minho.
Our new leader rolled his eyes. 'We keep going, that's what. Look, we don't have a choice. If we don't go to that town, we're gonna die out here of sunstroke or starvation. If we do go, we'll have shelter for a while, maybe even food. Cranks or no Cranks, that's where we're going.'
'And Group B?' Thomas asked. 'Or whoever they were talking about. What if they really do wanna kill us? All we have to fight with are our hands.'
Minho flexed his right arm, making me raise my eyebrows. 'If these people are really the girls Aris was hanging out with, I'll show 'em these guns of mine and they'll go runnin'.'
I coughed and Minho turned to me. I smiled at him and before he could say anything Lisa had already punched him in the face. The Gladers broke out in loud laughter.
'That's how afraid we are of your "guns",' Lisa said and I smiled at her.
Minho stared at her, his eyes flaring but before he could say anything Thomas broke the tension. 'What if these girls have weapons? What if it's not even them but a group of a thousand Cranks?'
That comment killed the laughter instantly. Minho let out a deep sigh and stopped rubbing the spot where Lisa had hit him. 'Thomas, no everybody,' he said. 'Would everybody just shut their holes and slim it? No more questions. Unless you have an idea that doesn't involve absolute certain death, then quit your cryin' and let's take the only chance we got. Get it?'

Somehow a smile crossed my face. I hated Wicked, but I had to give them the credit for choosing the right Leader for us.

'That's better,' Minho said with a satisfied nod. 'Anybody else wanna pee their pants and cry for Mommy?' A few laughs broke out but no one responded.
'Good. Newt, you lead up front this time, limp and all. Thomas, you in the back. Jack, get someone else to help Winston to give you a break. Let's go.'

And so we were off again. Sometimes walking, sometimes jogging. I was suddenly thankful for how hard Minho had been on Thomas and me back in the Maze. My condition was great and if it wasn't for the heat, I would've enjoyed the run.
I ran next to Lisa who seemed to have a lot more trouble with keeping up but she never complained and kept on looking forward with a resolute look on her face.

We went on the whole day, with only a few small breaks. And soon the darkness settled but Minho kept on walking. The little drop in tempature was a bliss. But what I loved most about it were the stars that had appeared in the sky. Thousands of them. I kept on watching them as we went on. Their little lights giving me hope.

  |||  

I have some exciting news to share with you all! I know I told you a few chapters ago that life wasn't so great for me, but now things are falling back into place and I'm feeling a lot better. And so I decided to give you guys a little surprise:

From now on (GREATEST SHOWMAN ANYONE?) updates will be on sunday as well as wednesday! So there will not be one but TWO chapters a week.

So I hope you all enjoyed this chapter, let me know your thoughts in the comments and please leave a vote. It means a lot to see your support. 

I'll see you all wednesday!

xxx

-Me