[Introduction]

I started listening to Celtic folk music a few years ago and quickly noticed the prevalence of themes of death—and of murder

I started listening to Celtic folk music a few years ago and quickly noticed the prevalence of themes of death—and of murder. After doing some research into the matter, I uncovered a whole sub-genre of music I had never heard of before: murder ballads.

At first, I was disturbed. Who would willingly listen to songs about death, let alone songs about murder? But I just couldn't shake my attraction to this macabre type of song.

Despite the disturbing subject matter, or perhaps because of it, I have never before encountered a type of music that inspires such a deep, emotional reaction. When I listen to one of these songs, I lament along with the singer every single time.

I am not a folklorist. Where I can, I'll share a little about the folk songs that inspire each story, and I'll point you toward more information, including renditions I enjoy so that you can listen to the music yourself. Just please, don't take my ramblings as the whole truth, and if you're curious, I encourage you to do your own research and listening, and to correct me where I go wrong.

It's my understanding that folk songs like these ones traveled with their singers across borders and evolved over time, so that you will find variations of the same stories sung by various artists. I'm excited to employ some artistic liberty myself as I explore these songs as short stories!

**TW** This book will contain sensitive subject matter such as death, murder, violence against women, executions, and suicide. I hope I can deal carefully with these topics in my work so as not to glorify these subjects.

Thanks are due to my poor, long-suffering husband, who has listened to variations of The Twa Sisters far more times than he knew he would have to when he spoke his marriage vows. Love you, honey. :)