Music

I opened my eyes, hearing faint music come from the hallway.

Who's playing music at this hour? I ask myself.

It grows louder and then fainter after a second. Each time, I grow more curious. It's about 5 in the morning and no one is awake... that I know of.

I stand up, feeling a slight burn from my injury and having wobbly legs, and walk towards the door. I peak out, not seeing anyone but a girl down the left hallway. She's dancing to the music which I still have no idea where it's coming from.

I walk out towards her,"excuse me miss?" She turns around and she looks around the age of 14 to 15,"are you playing that music?" I ask.

She nods,"yeah I am, did I wake you? I'm sorry..." she stops moving altogether and looks down at her fiddling hands guiltily, the music still faintly playing.

"No, no, it's alright, no need to worry. The music was beautiful and your dancing was amazing. What's your name?" I ask cautiously.

"My name is Aaron, I know I know, it's a boy name and-"

"It's a beautiful name. Aaron, that's sure a new one," I smile and she smiles back.

"Thank you. Now I must get back to my room before my mother wakes up, what's your name by the way?"

"Steve."

Her eyes widen,"that's such a nice name."

I chuckle light heartedly,"thank you."

She nods,"see ya around Steve!" Then she runs off down the hallway.

What a sweet girl.

I walk back to the room seeing another male walk in before me.

"Soda?" I ask when I see him looking around.

"Ah! What the- don't scare me like that babe!" He chuckles, embarrassed.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you," I place a kiss on his cheek.

"What are you doing awake?"

"I should be asking the same. Why are you here so early?" I ask.

"I wanted to surprise you when you did wake. Guess that's not happening," he shrugs.

"You sure did surprise me when I seen you so job well done," I smile.

"You didn't answer my question though, why were you out of bed?"

"There was this music coming from the hall so I went to see what it was. This little girl was dancing to it. Her name is Aaron. She's extremely nice," I say, complimenting the little girl I saw just minutes ago.

"Oh, cool," he says, sitting in the chair.

"Mhm."

-

"So what did the doctors say about me going home?" I ask.

"Well they said they couldn't specifically tell me but it would be soon."

"Oh... alright. Did they say anything else?" He looks down at his hands and bites his lip.

"Soda...?" I question nervously.

"They said that they didn't get both of the bullets out... when the second one hit you, I guess it bounced off the other one or something and lodged into a place that they didn't see. You're going to have to have another surgery soon but other than that, you're okay."

I... still have a bullet inside of me...?

"W-what?" Panic grows in my chest and it actually stings a bit.

"It's okay though, the surgery is some time tomorrow and you'll be fine after that," he says, scooting forward in his chair to hold my hand.

Surgery's... they aren't always successful... plus the wound was near my heart... what if I die? I don't want to die. I want to live my life the way I want to. I can't die now... I'm only 19 years old... that's not long enough.

"Steve? Hey now, calm down. You're gonna be fine," Soda places his hand on my cheek and my eyes dart towards him.

"You're going to be alright baby, just breathe."

I take in a shuddery breath and close my eyes.

This is all just so fucked.

"What time tomorrow?" I look back up and place my elbow on my knee with my hand running through my hair.

"8 in the morning, but they said it wouldn't be long, it would only be a few hours or so."

"Okay..." my heart thumps against my chest and I lay down on the bed.

He comes and lays next to me, rubbing my arm gently.

Can time just slow for a minute?

•It's been awhile, huh? Sorry about that, was busy for once with school and family. How was this?•