Ambulance

I turn my head to see what looks like an unconscious Soda. My heart jumps into my throat and I suddenly feel panic spread throughout my body. A sharp, painful strike hits my body and sends my vision to a blur.

I feel like I can't breathe yet I am. My hands are dangling above my head... or would it be below my head?

It doesn't take me a long time to figure that the car we're in is upside down.

Sirens are heard but I can't tell where they're coming from. The ringing is giving me a headache and my vision constantly fades in and out.

I reach over and tug onto the door handle, carefully pulling myself out from inside the car after I unbuckled the seatbelt. I can breathe better out here but I turn back and crawl towards Soda's side. He looks conscious but he's not moving. I can see him breathing so I call out.

"S-Soda," my voice sounds raspy and I cringe.

He turns his head, his eyes falling closed and back open slowly.

He's only a bit conscious...

I try opening his door while on my knees but it won't open.

The lock.

"Soda, unlock the door!" I yell desperately, the situation finally hitting me.

I hear tires screech onto the road and I turn my head to see people rushing out.

"Sir, sir are you alright?" People tug on me, or more like shake my shoulder.

I turn my head towards where Soda is and see that he finally is somewhat conscious. He scrambles to get out and forgets to undo his seatbelt.

He's so goddamn lucky the car wasn't on fire...

Once he finally gets out, I crawl towards him and hold him in my arms, not wanting to do anything else.

"Sir, we have to get you to an ambulance!" One of the paramedics say.

"We're fine, just a bit shaken up," I reply, still feeling the sharp pain in my chest. My head feels light and the world starts to darken.

"You were shot and in a car accident please just come with us," he slightly begs.

Shot...?

Before anyone can do anything, my back hits the ground and the world disappears.

-

"Is that all the information you can give us?"

"Yes."

"Thank you for your time, we'll be going now."

Voices mix and send confusion to my brain, giving me a headache.

I recall what happened and let my body tense up.

Is Soda okay? Why can't I open my eyes? Why can't I feel my fingers? Why did someone shoot us? ...or me to be exact.

The noise of a chair rolling enters my right ear along with a beeping noise to my left.

"Hey Stevie, it's Sodapop. I know you might not be able to hear me but Mike's gonna get arrested once they find him. I talked to the cops about everything and they're gonna have a cop on guard while you're here so we know it's safe. It's gonna be okay, you're gonna wake up and we're going to go back and live together and be happy. Just like before." I can hear the tears in his voice and I just want to say,'I can hear you baby, I really can. I'm here.'

"And you don't have to worry 'bout me being alone at the apartment. I'm staying at home and Dallas is gonna be with me at all times. And I'm okay, just a minor head injury and a couple cuts and bruises but it's not bad, I promise." His voice got shakier at the end.

He grasps my hand and gives it a little squeeze. How I wish I could squeeze back.

"Two-Bit and Dally came earlier just to check up. You know it's been 3 days since the accident? I miss you." He sniffs.

"They said you lost a lot of blood so that's why you haven't woken up but you'll wake up soon. You got shot in the chest, close to your heart but you'll be okay, I know you will." His hand leaves mine for a moment but comes back quickly.

"But guess what? Ponyboy won first place in his track meet yesterday. Today's Friday so he'll be over here with Johnny later. The nurses are real nice, they even let me stay here last night. Darry wants to take me home today so I can eat and get cleaned up."

There's a long pause with lots of sniffs and I feel water build up in my closed eye lids.

"Alright, I gotta go but I'll be right here tomorrow when Darry drops me off. Steve. I love you so goddamn much and I wish we were just at home watching a movie, cuddled up underneath a blanket. Buts it's not the movies, we greasers don't get to have happy endings. Just the shitty ones. But I promise you, I promise that I will try and give you the best life until the day I die. I love you so much, please wake up soon." A pair of lips touch the surface of my skin on my hand. They linger a bit before they disappear along with his hand. My hand is met with chills after I hear the door quietly close.

Oh Soda...

I feel a droplet of water touch my left cheek.

Soon baby... so very soon...