Doubts

Soda insisted on driving but I 'politely' said no.

My patience level was extremely low and I had no idea why. I was pissed off and upset at the fact Soda might be lying.

Why would he lie to you Steve? You've been together for a year and been friends since grade school.

But it seems different now. Somehow.

-

Once we made it home, I seen that everything was cleaned up and when I went into the bathroom, the knife was no where to be seen.

"Thanks for cleaning up..." I mumble, walking to the kitchen to get a drink of water.

"Yeah... no problem."

He followed me to the kitchen and just stood there staring at me like I was gold or something.

"Uh hi, what are you staring at?" I giggled.

He walks over with a smile on his face and I set my glass down.

"What?" I ask again with a small smile on my face.

"You're so handsome," he leans down and brings me into a heartwarming kiss.

He gives me an evil grin,"Heya Steve, where's your little lover boy?"

Mikes voice rings throughout my mind, bringing unpleasant memories.

"I only had a couple drinks..."

All of a sudden I'm bursting into tears and pulling Soda into my arms while standing on my tippy toes. I have handfuls of his shirt in my bawled fists because I don't want to ever let go of him. Ever.

"Please don't leave me," I sob out, squeezing him closer to me.

"Hey, I would never leave you. You know how much I love you," he picks me up and I wrap my legs around his waist, keep my arms locked around his shoulders and bury my head into the crook of his neck still sobbing.

"It's okay, you're okay, it's all okay," he tries to say soothingly.

"Nothing's okay Soda! Nothing!" I sob out, my voice muffled by his warm skin.

"What's not okay?" He asks softly.

"Us, Mike, just everything!" I try calming myself down but it only brings more tears.

"Why are we not okay? Why is Mike not okay? What's wrong with us? I thought we were okay," he sets me down on the couch and sits next to me.

"J-just nev-vermind, forget I said anything," I get up off the couch but he gently pulls my wrist back.

"L-let go," I hold my breath to keep in the sobs but my body doesn't comply.

"Steve, look at me."

I turn my body around, tears still streaming down my face.

"We're gonna have to talk about this sooner or later whether you like it or not. We don't have to talk about this now." I nod, already knowing this from the start.

"C'mere," he holds out his arms and I slowly crawl into them, my body still racking with sobs.

"I-I'm sorry..."

"Shh, don't apologize, it's okay." He rubbed my back until I drifted off to sleep.

-

I woke up screaming and flailing that night.

"Stop it! Don't hurt me!" I screamed, trying to get away from Mike.

"Steve! Wake up! It's just a nightmare, it's me Sodapop!" A voice rang throughout my head.

My eyes shot open to see a panicky Soda by my side with the lights on and the bed a mess. My heart was pounding so hard that I could feel it in my ears.

My voice was caught in my throat and all I could do was breath and hear my own shudders.

"Are you okay?" Soda sits on the edge of the bed next to me and I nod.

"You want some coffee?" He asks, trying to make me feel better but I nod anyways.

He carries and sets me down on the couch in the living room and walks into the connected kitchen.

A knock sounds on the door and I look at it with fright. Soda gives me a pitiful look and walks over to open it.

A middle-aged woman stands there with a scared look plastered on her face.

"Hello, can I help you?" Soda asks politely.

"Hi, I'm Evelyn. I live right underneath your apartment and I was wondering if everything was okay because I heard screaming."

Soda looked back at me and I buried my head in my knees that were pulled up to my chest.

"My boyfriend had quite the nightmare, I apologize for waking you." Her eyes sadden.

"Oh it's alright, I wasn't exactly sleeping. I should get back to my wife, but if he ever has another nightmare, tea will help sooth the mind. I've had experiences with them before so I should know," she laughs softly,"it's great to meet another couple like us though. Have a nice night now," she waves and walks down the hallway from where she came.

Soda closes the door and comes and sits down next to me, pulling me into his chest.

I take in a shaky breath,"I'm sorry for waking you... I-I didn't mean too..."

"It's alright babe, don't apologize for things you can't control," he runs his fingers through my hair until we hear the boiling water start to whine and he gets up to go make the actual coffee.

Once he came back, he handed me a midnight blue coffee cup. I took it by the handle and sipped it slowly so I wouldn't burn my tongue.

"Doesn't it hurt sitting like that?" Soda snaps me out of my thoughts and I look at him. Sitting with my knees up to my chest hurts like hell but it's the only position where I feel safe enough.

"Eh, I got used to it. It does hurt to walk or move my head around since he- because of the bruise," I tear my eyes away from him and land them on my steaming cup of bitter goodness.

"He...?" Soda gives me a look of 'what?' But I brush it off like it was nothing.

Once I finished my coffee, we headed to bed and I pretended to sleep so he could sleep without worrying.

He's going to make me talk about it tomorrow. I'm 100% positive he will.