Chapter 2: The Stranger

Start from the beginning

"I know."

"Then let me go to him!"

"Ilyia," her mother said in a hushed voice. She swung Ilyia around and held her firmly in front of her. "He can't know what you can do." She pulled a small vial from a pouch on her belt and held it out. "Place your tear in here."

Ilyia wrinkled her nose. What was so wrong aboyt using her power to heal someone? Every fairy had magic. Hers was a little different since it came from her eyes instead of her hands, but what did it matter? "But, Mother..."

"If you want to help him, then give me your tear."

Ilyia snatched the vial away. She pressed the opening to her cheek and focused. It wasn't hard to make a tear come. All she had to do was think about something sad, or how she had almost died in the water.

A milky-white tear flowed down her cheek and slipped into the bottle. Ilyia blinked a few times then handed it to her mother. "Here."

"Thank you," she replied, and Ilyia could hear the softness in her tone. "I'm sorry, I'm not trying to belittle you. I'll explain one day."

"I hope you will," Ilyia muttered.

Her mother carried the vial over to the man and knelt down. Ilyia decided it was best to stay back, but she leaned forward so she could hear them.

"Thank you for your assistance," the fairy murmured weakly. "I thought I was done for."

"It's fortunate I heard you," her mother replied. She held out the vial. "May I? I've learned to craft healing potions with my water magic. I can help relieve your pain."

He glanced at his shoulder, chuckling. "I don't know how much good it will do, but thank you." With a grimace, he pulled down the sleeve of his tunic. "My name is Taren."

"Elpis," her mother replied. She poured the tear slowly onto his shoulder. The magic was instant. One moment there was a gaping hole in his flesh. The next, the skin was healed, leaving behind a line of blood, the only sign he'd been injured.

Taren looked at it in shock. "By the Goddess...where did you learn such magic? With a healing elixir like that, our army could stand up against Lord Merwellian."

Ilyia frowned. Army? Lord Merwellian? What was he talking about?

Her mother stiffened and shook her head. "I'm sorry. That was the last of my supply. I can't offer any more."

"What?" Taren asked. "Then come with me and make more near the battlefield! Your magic could mean the difference between victory and defeat!"

Her mother pushed herself to her feet firmly. "Your battle is not mine. I have my own to look after." She gestured to Ilyia.

Taren glanced over at Ilyia then back with a frown. "Shouldn't you want to defend the fairy tree in order to save your daughter? Merwellian is drawing closer to the heart of the fairy glen every day. Medira's Tree is at risk of corruption. If The Tree falls, then so will the rest of the fairies."

"No." Her mother corked the vial and placed it back in her pouch. "You're healed. Now, please, be on your way."

"Wait!" Taren shouted. He scrambled to his feet and ran after her mother. But a wall of water suddenly formed in front of him, knocking him back a step. He retreated a little then glared. "How can you turn a blind eye to our people? We're supposed to help each other!"