Chapter 7: Three Brothers

Ilyia fell through a green and brown world. Leaves and twigs slapped her on her way down, tangling into her hair, leaving angry red marks along her arms. She clutched Taren as hard as she could and tried to get enough room to spread her wings, but the leaves closed in, cutting off her flight. She looked past her feet, up towards the trunk hole. The owl's glowing eyes peered down at them, but it didn't follow.

Small mercies.

Ilyia took a deep breath and dug her fingers into Taren's tunic. He didn't make a sound which made her worry that either he was unconscious, or worse.

Suddenly, the leaves fell away, and the wind caressed her. She flared her wings and spun twice before she was able to level herself out. Taren's weight nearly pulled her back to the ground. She wasn't used to carrying someone else!

Ilyia looked down and shook him lightly. "Taren?" she whispered. Blood dripped down his new wounds, causing her to sigh. Always bleeding, she thought.

They wouldn't be safe near the tree. Even if the owl didn't decide to follow them now, it could want a midnight fairy snack later.

So Ilyia used all the strength she had to carry Taren's limp body over the arched grass. The night was cool, and the moon cut through the darkness, creating a silver path for her to follow. How she wished Sage and Iris were there to keep her company, to guide her. Did they know what had happened at home? Would they have come upon her mother amidst her capture?

She hoped the fireflies were safe.

Ilyia traveled as far as she could before her wings started to shudder from exhaustion. She searched around for a safe spot to land. It came in the form of raised tree roots, a large mushroom, and a thin brook gurgling through the soil.

She landed heavily, dropping Taren in the process. Ilyia collapsed into the dirt beside him and lay there, panting. It was as she started to roll onto her back that she felt pain shoot through her spine. Ilyia cried out in agony.

At the same time, Taren jerked awake and reached for his sword. He swung it wide, half-awake, and nearly nicked the tip of Ilyia's nose.

"Taren!" she shouted. She scrambled backwards on her elbows, wincing as her back wound pulled and rocks dug into her flesh. "Taren, stop!"

The lightning fairy blinked owlishly and looked around. It was several tense moments before he lowered the blade. "What happened?"

"Owl," Ilyia explained as she tried to sit up. "An owl returned to its home and attacked us. We fell... I brought us here."

"You did? You?" Taren looked around.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Ilyia growled.

"No...no, I didn't mean it like that," he was quick to say. He looked at her and pointed to the ground she was sitting on. "I mean, you brought me here, injured as you are?"

Ilyia touched her damp shirt and brought her fingers into view. Blood covered her pale flesh. "I didn't realize it struck me so hard." It was a wonder her shirt was still on. She grimaced and let tears come to her eyes. She gently scooped them up then reached back, placing the tears on the torn flesh.

And just like that, she felt the wound start to heal. "How badly were you hurt?"

"Enough that I think we should both rest." He looked down at his leg and tried to staunch the blood. "How did I fall unconscious? I don't remember the owl hitting me in the head."