Chapter 27

McKinley's POV

I didn't want Tyler to leave. I felt like I never saw him since my classes started. I was always either at class, band practice, or work. And then he was always working. There were very few days each week that our schedules lined up for us to get to be together. Tonight was supposed to be one of those nights.

And now I was alone. Ben was working tonight, which means he wouldn't be back for at least another hour. My homework for tomorrow's class was already done. Now I was just sitting on my couch bored out of my mind.

Ultimately, I ended up turning Netflix on for a bit. I was just started a second episode of some show that had been in my recommendations when Ben got back.

"No Tyler?" he asked me.

I shook my head. "He got summoned to work, unfortunately. Do you wanna watch with me? I don't really know what this show is, but it's kinda interesting."

"Uh..." He looked at the TV and then back at me. "Doesn't he work at that mechanic shop?"

"Yeah?" Why would he ask that? Now I was confused.

"I just drove by there and it's completely closed for the night. No lights on or anything."

I paused the show. "Really? He told me his boss texted him. Maybe it was a quick thing?" But he would have come back if that was the case, right? Or at least texted me? Why wouldn't he tell me?

"I don't know. Forget I said anything. Maybe I was wrong. It's not like I was looking. They could have been in a back room or something working."

I nodded slowly as Ben walked into his bedroom. I probably had nothing to worry about, right? It's not like Tyler was out cheating on me or something. He would never do something like that.

I resumed the show again, trying to focus on that instead. It wasn't working though and, ten minutes later, I was turning off the TV and pulling on my sneakers.

"I'll be back later," I told Ben, shoving my wallet in my pocket and grabbing my keys.

"What are you doing?" he asked as I walked by his room. "Don't do anything stupid."

I stopped in his doorway. "I'm not!"

"Is this about what I said? It's about him, isn't it?"

I shook my head. "I'm not being stupid, Ben. I know what I'm doing."

He raised an eyebrow at me, crossing his arms over his chest. "Then what are you doing?"

"I don't know! Stop asking me questions!" I let out an exasperated sigh. "I'll be back later, probably. I just want to check something, okay? That's it."

Before Ben could respond, I was walking out the door and heading downstairs to my car. I knew I should just let things be and trust my boyfriend. And it's not like I didn't trust Tyler. I was just lonely and wanted to spend time with him. Was that such a crime?

I drove to his work. And, just like Ben had said, there were no lights on. Even peaking through the side window, I could tell the office light in the back of the shop was off too. There was no one inside, although I probably should have realized that when I didn't see Tyler's car out here, but it couldn't hurt to check anyway, right?

After getting back into my car, I soon found myself parked in front of Tyler's house. A couple of the lights were on downstairs, but not his bedroom light, which meant he could actually be inside, whether sleeping or downstairs. It was getting late by now, so him falling asleep might have been an option, although we normally texted each other good night every night.

I walked up to the front door and rang the doorbell. It took only a few seconds for Casey to open it.

"What are you doing here?"

"Hi. Is Tyler here?"

"What? No. I thought he was with you?"

I sighed. "He was. Then his boss texted and asked him to come in. Except, the shop is closed and he's not there. I was thinking maybe he just came back here?"

Casey shook her head. "Sorry, McKinley. I haven't seen him all day."

"You don't think he might be cheating on me, do you?" I blurted.

She actually laughed. "That's funny. Tyler, cheating? Yeah right. Besides, he is so in love with you, he'd never dream of it."

I sighed again. "I know... I just wanted to hang out with him tonight because I never see him anymore and he left and all I want to do is see him except I don't know where he is right now and I'm starting to get worried about him and I don't know what to do."

"Did you try texting him?"

"No..." Why didn't I think of that before? That probably would have saved me so much time and gas! "I should do that!"

But before I could even open the messaging app on my phone, Tyler's car was pulling into the driveway, lighting up the small front yard with the headlights. Now I didn't have to text him. This was great.

After getting out of his car, he looked over at me and Casey before pulling a cardboard box out of his backseat. I was confused now. What was that? And where was he?

He walked over. "McKinley," he said, obviously surprised. "What are you doing here? Is everything alright?"

"I, um... Well... I was looking for you? And Ben mentioned something about your work looking completely closed which got me thinking that maybe you weren't there and it's not like I don't trust you, 'cause I do... I was worried?"

He shook his head. "Why don't you come inside?"

I wanted to believe that this was going to be a continuation of our night, just at his place now. But the look on his face told me something different. It wasn't a good look, and honestly, it kinda worried me even more than I already was.

I followed him inside anyway. "What's wrong?" I closed the door behind me while he set down the box. Casey had disappeared at some point and I wondered how I didn't notice her leaving.

Tyler grabbed hold of my hand and led me to the stairs. He didn't say anything else until we were in his bedroom with the door shut, keeping whatever conversation was about to happen just between us.

"I can't lie to you," he started, unable to meet my gaze. "My boss never texted me tonight."

I shook my head, every bad possibility suddenly flashing through my mind. "Where were you then?" I asked quietly. "Are you cheating on me? Are you breaking up with me?" I never been broken up with before! I've always been the one to end things! Is this how they all felt when I did it? I didn't want to break up!

"No!" He grabbed my hands, finally looking me in the eyes. "No, of course not. But I can't say that you won't break up with me after I tell you this."

"You are cheating?"

"No, McKinley, I would never. Please, just listen."

I nodded my head. I would be quiet now.

He still took a minute to start talking. "It was my dad who texted me. I needed to repay him for getting me the hearing aids. I needed to go. There was no way out of it."

"But... why? Didn't he offer to replace them for you?"

Tyler shook his head. "I asked him because I knew it was my only option. He only bought them so that he could have a son as close to normal as possible - he told me that tonight. He's... McKinley, he's not a nice person. I know I've told you a little bit, but the truth is that he abused me. Ever since my mom died and then everything happened with me, he's hated me with every ounce of his soul. I never wanted you to know how badly he's affected my life, which is why I didn't tell you."

He looked so devastated. I didn't like seeing him upset. "Tyler... I'm officially making you part of my family, okay? They already love you. That way you never have to deal with him ever again, okay? I never want him to hurt you ever again."

"Thank you," he whispered. "Thank you for not running away."

I leaned up to kiss him gently. "You're worth staying for."