Chapter 19

Tyler's POV

I stared at the small ear pieces in my hand. They honestly lasted me a lot longer than I ever expected them to, but having them crap out on me now was not ideal. I couldn't afford new ones and, as much as I hated to admit it, they were a reminder of the last decent thing my father ever did for me.

A tap on my shoulder startled me. I turned to find Casey standing there, saying something. She stopped when she noticed what I was holding and immediately switched to sign language.

What happened? she signed.

I put my hearing aids back in the case and tossed it onto my bed. They finally gave up on me, I signed back. I don't know when I can get them replaced.

She gave me a small smile. You'll figure something out. But I'm making lunch. Want any?

I shook my head. I wasn't really feeling like eating anything right now.

After she left my room, I sat on my bed. I think the hardest part about this was going to be telling McKinley. We've only been dating for just over a month now, but I already knew how much he relied on his hearing ability. And he loved to talk. The only problem was that I'll sometimes have trouble understanding him, especially if he's talking fast, and that's with my hearing aids in.

I wish he knew sign language, but I wasn't about to make him learn it, not for the two or three weeks it would take to get a new pair - at the very least. I knew what it was like to try to force someone to learn and I never wanted to compare McKinley to my father. McKinley was a much better person that he ever will be.

I needed to tell him. I could do it over text, but I also wanted to see him. I knew he was working today, so I could always stop by there. I haven't been by the music shore yet. Maybe it was time I did. Hopefully Casey could drop me off. I didn't feel comfortable driving myself without being able to hear anything.

Thankfully, Casey agreed and, twenty minutes later, she was dropping me off at the door of the music store McKinley works at. It was almost the end of his shift, so I'm sure he'd be more than willing to drive me home later. If not, I could always find another way back.

I walked through the door. At the counter near the back wall was a girl about my age. She looked up when I approached, saying something that was probably close to 'can I help you?'

I pulled out the pad of paper and the pen I had stuffed in my pocket and quickly wrote out McKinley's name. Holding it up, I saw the recognition on her face. Then she pointed to her left.

McKinley was sitting in the corner of the store, his feet crossed at the ankles and propped up on an amp as he played an electric guitar. His head was down as he strummed at the strings, so he hadn't noticed me yet. He looked so at peace playing. I could tell that that was exactly what he was meant to do.

He suddenly looked up, which must have meant the girl at the counter had said his name. When his eyes landed on me, he smiled so widely. He motioned me over, putting his feet down on the ground and patting the amp for me to sit on. It looked like he said 'I want to play something for you'.

I went to object, but he cut me off, making the shush gesture with one finger pressed against his lips.

I watched as he played, his fingers moving so perfectly and gracefully, his lips moving as he sang words I couldn't understand. Every once in a while he would look up at me, smiling. I smiled back, unable to help myself. He looked absolutely beautiful.

Eventually, he put his hands down, resting the guitar across his lap. "I'm sure that was amazing," I said. I hated talking out loud when I couldn't hear my own voice. I knew I sounded weird, so I avoided doing it as much as possible. But right now it was the only way to talk to McKinley without having an entire conversation through pen and paper, which was always a hassle.

He gaped at me before peering around me head to look at my ears. He pointed. I read the word 'why' on his lips.

"They broke."

McKinley's eyes went wide. I could tell he was starting to panic or worry, so I grabbed his hand, gently caressing the back of it with my thumb. I didn't want him to run on me. I wasn't going to let him run. He's nothing like my father and he never will be.

With his free hand, McKinley reached up and wiped his thumb across my cheek. He had wiped away a tear that I hadn't even realized I had let slip out. I thought I was done wasting tears on that bastard.

McKinley lifted my chin and clearly mouthed the words 'it's okay' then pressed his lips gently against mine. He was only there for a second before I felt him quickly pull away from me to look to the other side of the shop.

His eyes met mine a second later, this time filled with guilt. He then pointed towards the counter, where a customer was standing. The girl behind the counter was typing away at the computer, the phone tucked between her shoulder and her ear. I understood - McKinley needed to get back to work.

I shooed him off, not wanting to keep him from his job any longer than I already have. Granted, he had a tendency to hang out at my work most of the time, talking away while I worked. But we had two different types of jobs - his seemed to be less lenient about visitors than mine.

While he worked, I watched him. He moved around the store, showing the woman different products. I wasn't exactly sure what she was looking for or any of what he was showing. I could tell as he moved around just how much he loved this place. He's complained about his job before, but I just knew that he belonged within the musical world, whether it was continuing to work in a music store or going on to greater things.

I just wished I didn't have to worry about him leaving me behind for that world because I couldn't always fit into his perfect picture.