Chapter 16

McKinley's POV

"You're coming with me," Bed said, grabbing his wallet off the table.

"Why?"

"Because it's a party. Jenna is with her family this week and I need someone to go with me. Besides, I thought you liked parties? What other plans could you possibly have after canceling on your boyfriend?"

I sighed. I currently had no plans since I said no to Tyler's barbecue invitation, other than sitting by myself and watching some romantic comedy while I stuffed myself with junk food. Happy Fourth of July to me.

"I'm not letting you sit here all alone," Ben continued. "Come, have a few drinks. It'll be fun."

I guess going out wouldn't be too bad. It might even get my mind off everything for a bit. "Fine," I sighed, getting up from where I sat on the floor in front of the couch. "I'll go. But he's not my boyfriend and he never will be."

Ben smiled. "You should let loose tonight. Lighten up a bit. You being moody really doesn't make it easier for me around here."

I have to admit I haven't been in the greatest moods this week. I kept thinking about Tyler and the fact that I still haven't talked to him. The last text he sent me was that one where he asked how Uncle Mark was doing almost a week ago. I wasn't sure if him not texting me again was him ignoring me now or just giving me space.

I knew I needed to talk to him, but the longer I went without doing so, the more I honestly wanted to talk to him. I didn't know if I really wanted to have the 'let's stop seeing each other' talk anymore. Instead, I kinda just wanted to causally talk to him again, like we did on our two fails of dates. I actually missed him.

I grabbed my phone and shoved it in my pocket. "Where is this party?"

"Someone's house that I know from work. I don't think you know her - Casey?"

I shook my head. The name sounded vaguely familiar, but that didn't mean much. "She won't mind me coming?"

"Not at all. She actually told me to bring people with me. Go big or go home, right?"

I smiled. "Obviously." What other ways did you have a party? I think I was going to like this girl.

Twenty minutes later, Ben was parking his car on the side of a narrow street lined with a few small two-story homes. I sort of knew where we were, but I had never been in this neighborhood before. It was cute. It sort of reminded me of my own neighborhood at home, but these houses had more yard space.

The party was obviously coming from one particular house. Music was playing loudly from the backyard and people were already wandering around, probably slightly - maybe definitely - intoxicated.

Ben led me right around the side of the house and through the gate that opened to the backyard. Immediately, a girl shorter than me with a mess of blonde hair ran up to us, jumping on Ben in a huge bear hug.

"Ben!" she cried, letting him go. "I'm so glad you came!" She was definitely already drunk, but she seemed like the fun kind of drunk. "And you!" she exclaimed, looking at me. I got a hug too. "Hi! Welcome! Food is over there-" she pointed towards a table by the house. "Drinks too! We have soo much drinks. Help yourself to any of it!"

She ran off just as quickly as she appeared. I looked at Ben, confused.

He laughed. "That was Casey."

I nodded. "Fun friends you have. I'm gonna find a drink. I think I have some catching up to do with these other party-goers." Or hostesses, as it seemed. 

Leaving Ben still standing there, I made my way over to the drink cooler. Grabbing the first can I saw, I opened it and took a long sip. This is what I needed.

"McKinley?"

I swallowed the mouthful of alcohol I currently had in my mouth while turning around. And there, standing not four feet from me, was the last person I expected to see here.

"Tyler?" I questioned, even though it was obviously him. "What are you doing here?"

He reached down and grabbed my hand that wasn't holding onto my can. "Come here. I can't hear you too well with all the music."

I let him lead me inside, where the music got incredibly quieter as soon as the door closed behind us. I wished he was still holdidng my hand even after we sat down at the small kitchen table, even though I didn't know why.

"Sorry," he said. "I hope you don't mind."

I shook my head. "Of course not. But what are you doing here? I thought you had a barbecue to go to, not this?"

He chuckled. "This is that barbecue. I don't know how it managed to turn into this. Casey's a bit on the wild side. But how are you doing, McKinley? How's your uncle? I haven't heard from you. I've been worried."

Hearing the concern in his voice made me feel incredibly guilty. "I'm sorry, I really am. He's... I should have texted you days ago. I'm sorry. He's absolutely fine. I don't know why I didn't let you know."

"Hey." He grabbed my hand again across the table and started carefully caressing the back of it with him thumb. It felt really nice. "It's okay. I understand. You had a lot going on. I wasn't the first thing on your mind. As long as everyone's okay."

I gave him a small smile. "You're too good for me, Tyler," I whispered. I needed to end this before it really started, otherwise it would get so much worse.

A few people came crashing into the kitchen at that moment, bringing lots of noise with them.

Tyler looked at me, confused, but waited until the people left again before speaking. "I'm sorry. It's hard to follow conversations sometimes when there's a lot of other noise. It's why I tend to stay away from parties like these."

I squeezed his hand gently. "No, I'm sorry. I should know that."

"Do you want to go upstairs? It'll be quieter."

"Upstairs?"

Tyler chuckled. "My bedroom. We don't have to do anything... just talk."

He lives here too? Casey must have been the friend of Ben's who helped set us up in the first place, which meant Ben knew Tyler would be here tonight and didn't tell me. I was going to kill him later.

I found myself nodding in agreement with Tyler. "Okay." Talking was exactly what we needed to do, and if it happened here, tonight, then that's when it'll happen.

I left my now-empty can on the table as Tyler led me up the skinny staircase, our hands still entwined. Maybe I should give us a try. I really liked this intimacy, even though it was as simple as hand holding. I wanted more from him - to do more with him.

As soon as we got to his bedroom, I kissed him. It was a forceful kiss, something we haven't done before, but that didn't stop Tyler from returning it just as eagerly.

I suddenly took a step back, turning and walking to the other side of his bedroom with my hands on my head, wondering what the hell I was doing.

"McKinley?"

I sighed and faced him again, lowering my arms. "I'm sorry, Tyler. I'm just... I don't know what to do. I'm so confused."

He stared at me and, for a second, I thought maybe he hadn't heard me. But then he nodded his head and motioned for me to sit on his bed. "So let's talk."