"Who said parents weren't children," Shawn chuckled. "I know mine were."

Continuing to mutter under her breath, Katy began over fluffing pillows and double checking for dust. The moment Maya had realized grandpa was visiting, she'd somehow managed to disappear behind the Matthew's front door.

"You know, I'm starting to think getting this place was a bad plan," Shawn mused. "We never see our daughter anymore."

"At least if Maya isn't here, dad can't mess with her head," Katy sighed.

"Just relax," Shawn told her, trying to kiss some calm into her, which did work for a while until the doorbell went.

Katy jumped, then ran for the door. The man who stood there resembled Katy far more than Shawn had expected. They had the same mouth and nose. Katy's hair was lighter than her father's, but the similarities were unmistakable.

"Hey dad," Katy smiled.

"Come here kid," Paul said, moving forward to scoop her up into his arms. "It's been too long!"

"And this must be Shawn," Paul said, extending his hand to shake Shawn's.

"That's me," Shawn said, not sure what to make of the man. He'd so far made a very different impression than Katy had described.

"It's so nice not to have a son-in-law named Kermit," Paul chuckled. "Let me tell you."

"I must confess to laughing a little when I heard the name as well," Shaw admitted.

"I like you, kid," Paul said, throwing an arm around Shawn's shoulders as he walked further into the apartment.

"Don't go leaving her too now," Paul continued.

"I don't plan on it," Shawn mumbled trying to go with the flow.

"It was a right old mess that Kermit made of things for sure," Paul continued. "I thought my Katy would be sad forever."

"She's a pretty strong person," Shawn smiled.

"Oh, and I heard you adopted Maya!" Paul continued, not really listening to what Shawn had said. "Good on you. It's the proper way to marry a women with children, if you ask me."

"Dad," Katy whined, clearly embarrous from the slight blush on her cheeks.

"Don't you dad me," Paul continued. "It's true."

Covering her face - Shawn suspected to cover up rolling her eyes - Katy turned away towards the kitchen, muttering something about getting lunch ready.

"Now it might be a little late for this," Paul said quietly enough so Katy couldn't hear. "But a father has to ask. What are your intentions with my daughter?"

"I married her," Shawn said blinking stupidly at him.

"Well, so did Kermit," Paul scoffed.

"I am not Kermit," Shawn replied definitely.

"Good," Paul added, then raised his voice to call across the apartment and ask his daughter what was for lunch.

It was a strange hour to say the least. Paul talked, Katy squirmed, and Shawn observed. For someone who rarely kept in touch with his daughter, Paul seemed determined to put on a show of the good father-daughter relationship. It did feel just like that though, a show. By the time they'd finished eating, he'd worn out the subject and was asking where his granddaughter was.

"Next door," Katy explained. "At the Matthew's."

"And how well do you know these Matthew's?" Paul asked.