Birthday Wishes

It happened so fast. Shawn wasn't even sure how or why, but Maya wormed her way into his life. It was like he'd blinked and suddenly there was Maya. On some level, Shawn knew he was trying to be more for her than he had a right to be, but he wasn't about to admit that to anyone, let alone himself. It was just that there was something there in Maya's eyes that screamed 'save me', like she was a little baby duck or something. Shawn hadn't thought he had a paternal side, the way Cory did. Cory had been cracking dad jokes in middle school, and Shawn had always known Cory would take to fatherhood like a fish to water. Shawn, on the other hand had run from even being the cool uncle! What did he have to offer a child? Yes, Shawn was hesitant to do or be too much when it came to Maya.

Riley was another story. Shawn had a better idea where he stood with her now. Riley was his best friend's daughter, and he was going to be an awesome uncle if it was the last thing he did. This meant making his visits home closer together. Much closer together and longer. Rather than show up for a day or two every few years, Shawn found a way to come back just a few weeks later. There was an assignment in New York. He jumped on it before anyone else could, using it as an excuse to visit. Rather than calling ahead, Shawn just showed up one day and let himself in. Cory had long ago given Shawn a key to the apartment, and now seemed like as good a time as any to actually use the thing.

Shawn arrived, disappointed that no one was home and decided to have a crack at the gaming station while he waited. He hadn't been playing long when Riley and Maya walked in. He greeted Riley with the hug he should have been greeting her with all these years, then hugged Maya as well even if a little awkwardly. When Riley told him it was Maya's birthday, he decided a second hug was in order.

Cory and Topanga choose that moment to walk in, oblivious to the fact that anyone else was home, or at least Cory was. He then went on to insult both his and Maya's mother in almost the same way. It was classic Cory, and so was the massive running hug Shawn got from his best friend a second later. Shawn had to admit, it was good to be home.

And home just wouldn't be home without annoyingly insightful and nosy children asking him intrusive questions. Today Riley wanted to know who had the key to his heart. He was going to retell the story of him and Angela with the poetic flare it deserved, but Topanga decided to start with the time he went through Angela's purse way back in high school. Then the girls were doing some sort of ring power move in front of his face, and Shawn had to lower their arms to see. Shawn wasn't too fussed about all the questions though, except when Maya accused him of being unable to commit. He was spurred into action explaining to her that he was all in and she'd left him.

"I got left," Shawn explained.

"Yeah, I get a lot of that too," Maya replied. "Who's on your list?"

"Mother," Shawn began. "Father. Girlfriend."

"Wow," Maya said. "What is it with us?"

Shawn chuckled a little, looking her way and repeated. "What is it with us?"

He wasn't sure if the words meant more than their face value, and he didn't even get two seconds to think about it before Riley got up and called for a 'window right now' which somehow meant that she and her parents get up and leave with her. Shawn had to admit he was a little confused.

"What does 'window, window right now' mean?" he asked.

"Riley wants to talk to them in the window," Maya explained.

"I see," Shawn chuckled. "I didn't know their speech was contingent on bedroom windows."

"Don't judge the window," Maya snapped.

"Alright, alright," Shawn surrendered with a smile.

"I wonder that they're talking about," Maya mused.