Last Day before Training

YN's pov

I was currently sitting by the lake just past the training grounds. The Hokage passed on just a few days ago and I just feel like I could have done something.

"YN?"

I turned to see Hinata standing there looking worried. I waved her over to me. When she got to me I without thinking hugged her. She tensed up surprised by my sudden gesture.

"Sorry." I apologized but didn't let go.

"It's okay I just didn't expect it. How are you holding up?" She asked causing me to sigh.

"I don't get it. I didn't know the guy nearly as long as you did yet when he died it felt like I got shot or stabbed. I just feel like there's something I could've done" I explained sadly.

"Don't beat yourself up. He wouldn't want you to blame yourself." she said as I finally broke the hug.

"You're right. By the way, thank you Hinata" I said causing her to look at me.

"For what?" she asked curiously.

"For being by my side. Who knows know where I would be if you didn't follow after I ran away that day. And for what you said to me that day. It means a lot to me." I said smiling.

"You don't have to thank me YN. You've already done so much for me in the short time I've known you." She said with a warm smile.

I felt my cheeks grow warmer when I saw that smile. I want so bad to confess my feelings for her, but I can't do that and then be gone for five years.

"Before I leave there's something I need to do." I said standing up.

"What is it?" Hinata asked standing up as well.

"You'll see." I answered before heading back to the village.

When we got to the village, I found the person I was looking for, Neji Hyuga. I approached him and his team. He started walking towards me as well. When we reached each other, we just stood there for a bit.

"Neji, I want to apologize for trying to kill you during the chunin exams. No matter how mad I was, that was taking things too far" I said surprising him.

"I'm the one that should be apologizing. I've had some time to think and what you've called me in the past pretty much sums up my attitude and behavior. I was a stuck up prick. So I would like to apologize to both you and Lady Hinata." He said bowing his head.

"What do you say? Let's let bygones be bygones." I said extending my hand for a handshake which he accepted.

"Well isn't this nice? Everybody's friends now." TenTen said smiling.

Timeskip

I was heading to the front gate where I was told I would meet my new mentor. When I got there, I saw a girl with long black hair and crimson red eyes. She noticed my presence and approached me.

"Hello, my name is Akame. You wouldn't happen to be YN LN would you?" she asked as I nodded.

"I was asked by my friend Sarutobi, the third hokage to be your mentor." she explained.

"It's nice to meet you miss Akame" I said bowing my head.

"There's no need for that. Come on." she said smiling before waving for me to follow.

And my five years of training begins. I really hope I can learn to master my abilities so I can protect my friends and loved ones. I just don't want to leave Hinata.

"I have to get stronger so I can protect her"