Prologue

It was a war. That's the only way to explain it. Eggman had taken over the world, Sonic was gone, there was no hope for anyone. People were terrified, they don't know what to do, how could they defeat Eggman if Sonic couldn't?

Not to mention the new villain. No one had captured his name, so he was called the 'Masked Villain'. Very original right? But it was enough to send a shiver down anyone's spine.

Especially (Y/N)'s. The (a/t) had seen his powers before, she knew how strong he is, and she fears him because of it. She hated the idea of fighting him, but it was the only way to stand a chance in this now ruined world.

Even if he had murdered people. (Y/N) had seen it too many times to count, whenever she fought the Masked Villain, there was always casualties. And that scared her, because who knew when she was next?

Currently, she sat in her ruined home, the walls crumbled around her, but don't worry, her family is safe. The (a/t) had volunteered to help fight the Masked Villain, having no clue of his powers until her first encounter, but by then, it was too late to back out.

So now she waits for the next attack, praying that it won't be her last.

"It's the Masked Villain!" A shout came from down the street.

(Y/N) took a deep breath, these attacks were becoming more and more frequent, and more and more violent. Grabbing her gun, the (a/t) ran down the street, into the open centre where a dark figure floats above.

Already people were shooting at him, even though the bullets did nothing, they were trying their best to fight the one that brought down Mobius' hero.

"There is no reason to resist. Your saviour is no more..." The evil figure chuckled, floating higher above the scattering mess of frightened people. His hand started to glow with a dangerous red light, and suddenly explosions surrounded the terrified (a/t).

She dropped her gun as the blasts made her fall over, before she hid behind a ruined pillar, shaking and covering her head as if it would protect her. Glancing around, she saw smoke and a body sprawled on the ground, still and lifeless.

She whined, spotting her gun before taking a breath and reaching for it.

"I can taste your terror, child..." (Y/N) froze at the evil voice. She glanced up at the Masked Villain, fumbling for her gun. He gave another chuckle, "All that anxiety and doubt..."

The gun was finally in her palm and she stood, trying to ignore the shaking that took over her body as she aimed at the evil creature. Grabbing her wrist in the hopes that she could steady her aim, she looked away in fear.

"It's delicious..." He held his hand up, as if to blast her to oblivion, before faulting. His only showing eye gleamed with mockery, before he shot at her feet.

The (a/t) fell back with a yelp, losing her gun once again, before staring up in terror at the Masked Villain.

"Give in to your fear. Flee, screaming, and I'll let you live..." He stared at her, before he started to chuckle. Soon enough he was laughing, and the (a/t) took the opportunity to jump to her feet and disappear into the ruins.

Tears stung the (a/t)'s eyes as she ran. She was a coward and she knew it, so why did she torture herself by fighting the one that was able to crush Sonic under his feet?

It was unknown to her, all she knew was that she had to fight, even if she ran away in terror. It was the smart thing to do, right?

Wrong.

Now she was in another area, which was being attacked by Eggman's many robots. Creatures ran around firing strange weapons and barking orders at one another.

"Oh hey! A new recruit!" A green crocodile ran over to the (a/t), giving her a confused look, "I haven't seen you before, where is your helmet? Did Charmy not give you one? Ugh... That bee I swear..."

Before the shaken (a/t) could protest, a helmet was placed on her head and a weird shaped gun pushed into her hands.

"Get to it Rookie! These robots won't shoot themselves!" The crocodile said.

"But that would be cool if they did!" A bee flew around (Y/N)'s head, "I don't remember seeing you before..."

"Charmy go back to your station!" The green one yelled.

"Yes sir, boss!" The bee flew off. Looking around in confusion, the (a/t) followed him. Maybe he was given a safe place to stay, since he seemed like a kid.

Turning her attention to the item in her hands, the (a/t) then gave another confused glance. How does this thing work? Gun shots could be heard in the distance as she took in the odd shape of the weapon.

It was red, and rounded like a fireball. When she pulled the trigger to test it, flames erupted from it, burning the poor bee's stinger. Charmy let out a yelp, before glaring at (Y/N) and flying around the corner.

The (a/t)'s ears lowered and she looked around.

-Maybe I should just leave...-

She took off for the city, running through the ruined buildings. However a sudden feeling took over her, and she was left to turn back to the war between Mobians and robots. Eggman's battleship was floating in the sky, everyone had turned their weapons onto it, but no damage was being dealt.

With a sigh, (Y/N) rubbed her head, looking around for anything to use.

-I have to help... I can't be a coward any more...-

The thought was quick, but she knew she was right. If she was to fight in this war, she had to stop running away. Finally she spotted a large gun sitting on top of a building. No one was there, the seat was vacant, but the weapon looked powerful enough to bring the ship down.

-This is my chance to prove myself...-

(Y/N) ran to the gun, taking a seat before aiming at the large battleship. The only problem was, she was shaking again, and her aim was very far off because of it. Which was bad. She only had one shot. If she missed, the ship would surely shoot at her, and that would end it.

Taking a deep breath, she tried to calm her racing heart, eyes closed, before looking through the barrel of the weapon.

-This is my only chance...-

The (a/t) fired, closing her eyes as the loud bang filled her ears. Moments passed, and dread filled her stomach. Silence, nothing had been hit. She was as good as dead. Suddenly, there was a loud explosion, and she was able to look up, a little dizzy from the force of the gun.

The battle ship had been blown to pieces, and everyone was cheering.

"It's over... For now..." A purple chameleon joined the two.

"Good job Chaotix! Take five, then lets work on evacuating the others." He turned to the (a/t) as she stumbled from the large gun, "Hey Rookie, nice work! That shot was one in a million!"

The chameleon smiled, "An excellent tactical choice."

"Yeah! You were so cool! I'll even forgive you for shooting me in the butt!" Charmy piped up, flying above the other two.

The (a/t) smiled and rubbed her head, before watching the ship crash land in the distance.

-I did it... I shot down Doctor Eggman... I saved the day. But I could have done more...'

"Okay! Breaks over! Time to evacuate this place!" The crocodile cut off your thoughts, "Lets go Rookie, we'll need your help!"

She nodded following them, her head held high with pride.

-I'll become a real soldier... A real hero...-