金木 研 ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ Kaneki x ghoul! Reader

Information you need to know:
(y/n) = Your name
(l/n) = Last name
(h/c) = Hair colour
(e/c) = Eye colour
(n/n) = nick name

Without further ado, let's begin :)

_____________________________

It was a calm summer evening, the birds quietly singing in their trees, the weak setting sun filtering through the clouds, casting a pink and gold glow over the bustling city of Tokyo.

Everyone had already returned back to their homes after the busy day of work; it was tourist season after all, and there's only so much coffee you can make before it gets torturous. The manager had gone out to restock the coffee, meaning he had to drive out about an hour to get high quality beans. Touka and Hinami were out as well, staying over and friends houses for summer parties and sleepovers.
Which left you.

You were wiping down the last table, the setting sun reflecting patterns off its polished surface, when the sweet tinkle of the bell went off at the door.

You turned around, thinking it was some customer who had forgotten something during the day and was here to reclaim their treasured property, or an annoying elder who hadn't read the "closed" sign on the door.

"I'm sorry we're closed for the day-" You stopped, dishcloth in hand, and stared.

He was here.
Except, he was different. The last time you'd seen him he was sweet, and had a calming innocent sense about him that always made you feel warm inside.

"K-Kaneki?" You whispered.
"(l/n) (y/n)," he said with a smile. It wasn't a proper smile. A sad smile, or a pitiful one. Not a real smile.
It felt like gravity had abandoned you, leaving you weightless and cloudy.
"Kaneki," you said again, rushing towards him. He wasn't expecting your hug, since you barely showed much love to anyone, let alone hug them, but he still hugged back, wrapping his arms around you tightly as you both stood in the last of the fading sunlight. The glow of the sky made his pale hair look like it had caught fire, he looked less like a Ghoul than ever, more like an angel.

He was much taller than you now, had he grown? You wondered silently as you pressed your face closer into his chest.
"I've missed you, (n/n)." He mumbles into your neck.
You were suddenly very aware of how close you were as you felt his breath tickling your neck. You released him slowly, putting a small distance between you to, only to tug his shirt collar down to your level. You looked him straight in his eye, then, pulling his eyepatch off, both eyes.
"Don't you ever leave me again."
He breathed in sharply.
"I didn't know you cared so much, (y/n)." You loved the way he said your name, slowly, softly, like it was the most precious and beautiful thing in the world.
"Well, I did." You said, trying for a confident tone, but ending up with a shaky sob.
"Then I won't leave you again,"
"Promise?"
"Promise." He said, bringing his hands to cup your face. He rubbed his fingers along your jawline, almost absentmindedly.
You were so aware of him that it was like seeing in HD when all your life you'd been watching black and white. The way his hair hung around his temples and in his eyes, how soft and gentle his hands were, the steady beat of his pulse in his neck, the hard angles of his jawline and cheekbones that seemed so out of place in such a gentle human being.

You were aware of yourself too, how loud the blood pumping in your ears was, how you felt crazy butterflies in the pit of your stomach, desperately trying to escape, how your hands had somehow crept up to the back of his neck and how good you felt, like a small fire had been lit in your chest.

You tangled your fingers into his hair without realising what you were doing. His eyes widened and his lips made a small "o" shape in surprise. You blushed deeply and looked down at your feet, breaking eye contact. How exactly had you gotten in this situation again? Bodies close together, his hands on your face and yours in his hair, if someone walked in at that moment it would seem like you were-

Kaneki pressed his lips into yours gently, but you involuntarily gave a small tug on his hair, pulling him closer and deeper into the kiss. His hands were still softly resting against your face, each finger light, sending small shivers down your spine and tickling you, but in a pleasant way. You cringed inwardly as you remembered that you hadn't applied chapstick for about a week and your lips were rough and chapped, and that you were wearing your unshapely Anteiku work clothes.
"Something the matter?" He murmured against your mouth.
"Nothing at all," you stammered back. "I've missed you so much."
He leaned in for another kiss when-

"Bro?" You and Kaneki quickly jumped apart to reveal Hinami standing in the doorway.

End

_____________________________

So that's all for my first chapter... Hope you liked it, sorry for the slightly terrible ending. I'll probably do other Kaneki chapters because he's a popular character and there are a lot of different sides of him to explore. Please please please leave a request for a character/scenario.
Also please tell me if you want the chapters to be longer/anything else and I would love some constructive criticism. Thanks!