Pen Names

Now that some general information is out of the way, we're going to spend a couple chapters examining the parts of writing that you (the writer) can control. Our first topic is going to be Pen Names.

What do pen names mean on Wattpad?

As far as Wattpad goes, it's probably the least influential element.

Reptarstarbaby69 can have just as many if not millions more reads and readers than WriterKellie or something even more professional (AKA first&lastname; something I personally won't switch over to until my first release is dated).

Most readers don't pay much attention to the user name or cover name, unless for some reason they remember you (usually one of three options: I've heard a lot about you;  you're such a terrible writer I'll make a point to roll my eyes every time I see your name; or I LOVE YOU WRITER).

Does what I choose matter?

That's not to say that you shouldn't take some time and think about what you'd like to be known as. Depending on what your goals are on this website, you can build an great audience and reputation. Those seeking to be professional writers may opt for something you'd find in a bookstore. It's easier to have the same name across mediums so readers can readily identify and find you. You might prefer not having to alert your readers every time you change your name, or after you've amassed a large fanbase.

Do I need a pen name?

No. In most cases, your real name is perfectly fine. If you feel comfortable without a pen name, that's cool. If you feel more comfortable using one, that's alright, too.

Why might I want a pen name?

1. You may not want everyone knowing it's you writing this. As much as we'd like to think all writers are supported by their friends, family, peers, &coworkers, it simply isn't the case. There might be a very real and/or dangerous reason to not have your name directly attached to a work.

2. You may be writing in genres that you don't need everyone to know about, or you may be writing in multiple genres and don't need your YA readers going to your author page and seeing erotica.

For example: If my grandmother, say, happened to figure out the internet and happened to stumble onto Wattpad and happened to read chapter 11: The Match from Hounded, I'd probably wake up the next morning to a legion of priests at my door. Meanwhile, if she read Noreen instead, she might think it was a lovely if not somewhat tragic short story and I should keep writing.

3. Reader bias. Readers think a lot of things, sometimes wrongly. If you know your genre, you'll probably see patterns in names. For example, Flora Fluffwinkle may struggle to sell her James Bond in Space series. It might be excellent, a true classic, but there are readers out there who see her name and think, "No way a Flora Fluffwinkle writes a badass James Bond in Space series."

When you're just starting out, reader bias can be difficult to overcome.

4. Your name is so common, there's probably 10,000 of you out there. You'd prefer to stand out. Nothing wrong with that. It might even help your visibility since your story won't be buried beneath 46 other authors with the same name.

5. Your life circumstances change. You may, for example, get married. You don't so much pick a pen name as you simply acquire a new option. You may choose that or you may choose to keep the older name that readers already know.

6. You're a famous writer trying to see if you'd still be successful if you weren't already a household name.

This is not your problem, but it'd be nice if it was, wasn't it?

7. You're not a famous writer, but you share a name with an extremely famous writer.  You're also writing in the same genre and/or about similar subjects. The more popular the other writer is, and the more similarities you share, the more you may want to choose a pen name. Readers don't like feeling "tricked" or like you're piggybacking off the more famous writer. It's not your fault for having the same name, but readers don't always see it that way.

Of course, the less you share in common, and the less popular the other writer is, you'll likely be fine. Heck, you might be fine even if they were very famous, but you'd have to be extremely careful and do your research so you don't accidentally find yourself drowning in bad reviews or needing a good lawyer.

8. You're not ready to put out your real name.

How do I pick a good pen name?

Well, that's up to you at the end of the day. Generally, if you're picking a pen name, you should be happy with the result as you'll be answering to it everywhere. Consider your reasons for using a pen name. Research the names in your genre to see if you can see any patterns about what sells and what struggles.