One: The Present

"I'm telling you it's fate. The chances of us ending up being roommates again for the third year is the power of the universe!" Tess exclaims and I laugh as we lock up and leave the room.

"Tess you're being overdramatic, again. We are roommates because we always end up picking the same room in the same dorm. It's not the power of the universe it's the power of,... Gee, I dunno, planning?"

She nudges my side and I roll my eyes at her.

"Come on, Lu. Agree with me for once. You have to have my back when I tell this to people." she says as we make our way across campus.

"You sound like a gypsy."

"I'm pretty sure those people find it offensive when we compare ourselves to them." she says, smoothening her hand over her tight, leather skirt.

I looked Tessy over. She had on a pair of black suede boots, a leather skirt, and a navy blue crop top that said, "look into my eyes." But the said eyes were fixed solely on the breast area.

She was confident in a skirt, that's for sure.

"My eyes are up here, dufus!" she yells to a guy passing by.

"That's not what it says." he says back as we walk past him.

"Guys that stay in frat houses are so irritating." she says to me and I stop to stare at the incident in front of me.

"You can say that again." I mutter and Tess follows my gaze.

The frat house in our front had a bunch of guys around a drum which I'm guessing is filled with beer.
A guy was submerged in the drum with his legs being held by others as they yelled,

"Munch! Munch! Munch!" over and over.

"Why are they yelling munch?" I ask Tess and she shakes her head saying,

"They fill the drum with beer and slices of apple. The idea is to get as many apple slices in your mouth before you get out." she says and turns to me.

"Lunar, you know who is in that drum right?" she says and I think of a way to deny.

How could I?

Of course, I knew who it was.

The jeans, the sneakers, the unmistakable tattoo on his feet.

"Yup." I say just as they bring Lucas out of the drum. His mouth is filled with apple slices and he raises both hands into the air.

"Yeah! Yeah!" he yells before spitting them out. Our gazes lock and he gives his cocky smile as he walks over to me.

"Hey hot stuff." he says and spanks my ass.

He turns to Tess, "Hot stuff number 2." he says and she rolls her eyes.

"Luke, what the hell are you doing? It's 11 in the morning and you're already halfway down a beer drum." I say in a hushed whisper.

His face goes from naughty to blank.

"So?" he asks, his eyes daring me to protest.
My courage melts down to nothing and I look away.

We stand in silence and from the corner of my eyes, I can see Tess glaring at me. Her eyes willing me to speak.

"You've got something to say, Lu?" Lucas asks me and I take a deep breath to stop the fear building in me.

"It's just, you don't even stay in the frat house anymore. Why do you still hang around those guys? At this rate, you'd be drunk by noon and would have missed your classes. Look at you--"