Chapter Ten ~ The Book of a Rose

Mulai dari awal

I bowed my head at Mr. Gales before proceeding on with Nikolai, who's large hand warmed my small one. We walked down the marble hallways, with glass windows on both sides of the hall. The ceilings were adorned with hanging torches that would be lit at night, something that I wouldn't have the pleasure of witnessing. We reached a brown double door, and Nikolai opened it, allowing me to step in first.

My eyes immediately fell on the immense stack of books that lined the shelves. The room was brightly lit by the enormous windows that revealed the grassy hills. Under the large windows, were cushioned seats.

The high ceilings were held up by brown wood, making a decorative pattern. There was a second level that I could see, from where I stood, that lead to even more shelves of books. There were patterned designed amber banister made from sleeked wood. At the end of the room was a table with four seats, and a row of bookcases beside it.

The smell of paper full of inked words wafted my nose and I could literally taste the knowledge that filled every page

It was pure heaven. I was in love and all giddy on the inside even though I didn't know how to read. Just the sight of it made me want to cry yet roll around the floor screaming.

I promise I'm not insane.

I could feel my face breaking into a wide smile, and a feeling of joy rushed throughout my body, shocking me into a state of content. I didn't even know where to look or where to go. I turned to Nikolai, whose expression wasn't cold no longer, he instead had a calm look on his face. He stared down at me with a small smile, chuckling at my happiness.

"You can go look around," he told me, releasing my hand. I thanked him before turning back to the room, wondering where I should step first. It would be so lovely to find a picture book, then I'd actually know what's happening in the book. I wanted to learn how to read so badly, and I'd give almost anything just to be taught.

Hopefully, I'd be able to teach myself.

How hard could it be? I already knew most of the letters, all I had to do was guess the rest and connect them together.

My thoughts collapsed within each other, trying to keep up with my hyperactive mind. I walked, well actually skipped, to one of the shelves, my hands running over their spines. I forgot Nikolai was even with me, and simply indulged myself in the feeling of being surrounded by books.

That I couldn't read.

Gosh, I do love to stomp on my own parade.

I reached out for a brown book and pulled it from the shelves. I held it in my uninjured hand gently, as if though it would turn into a dust if I applied the slightest of pressures. After holding it for a while, I opened it slowly and my eyes immediately scanned the words on the page.

Goodness, did they add more letters to the alphabet? I didn't recognize anything. All the letters were unrecognizable and I grimaced when I realized teaching myself would be harder than I thought. I was completely immersed in trying to read that I didn't notice Nikolai walking toward me.