10: Levy's Fear

We spent the rest of the day in the village, waiting for night to come. Sonya introduced us to a man named Karl who provided us with a change of clothes and led us to a hot-spring to wash off. He left after showing us to the spring, telling Levy we could find him after we were finished. I frowned, staring at the small pool of water. It was large enough to fit at least five people comfortably, but that wasn't the problem. There's only one hot-spring. Are we supposed to--

I looked up when I heard a splash, and saw that Levy had already gotten into the water.

"Hey!" I shouted, feeling my face heat up for some ungodly reason. "Don't tell me you just--"

"Just what?" She asked, standing. She was fully dressed, and frowning at me. "Did you honestly think I'd just get naked and dive in right in front of you?"

"No," I snapped. That was what I thought she had done. I was relieved to see her dressed, but part of me was also disappointed. What the hell, Gajeel? I shook those thoughts from my mind, cursing myself and this damned bond for making me think so strangely.

With a sigh, I followed Lily into the water, sighing happily as I sank down to my shoulders and sat on the bottom of the spring.

"This feels great, doesn't it," Levy grinned as she washed salt from her hair. "I haven't been to a hot-spring in forever!"

"We aren't here to take a bath," I frowned, untying the shirt from my head and throwing it near a tree.

"I know that," she said, "but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy it. Besides, we aren't doing anything until later, anyways."

"Yeah, I guess you're right," I admitted, sinking lower into the water.

"Let me wash your hair," Levy chuckled. I shot upright, startled, before I realized she had been talking to Lily. She scrubbed the fur on his head as she spoke cheerfully to him. I sank back down into the water as I watched her. I just couldn't figure her out. She took her job so seriously, yet she enjoyed such a simple thing as a hot-spring bath.

Her attitude towards me was even more confusing. One minute she hated my guts, and the next she was saving my life. Ever since we were bonded, she had been much friendlier to me, although I could tell she was still a little mad at me for what I had done to her and her team mates. Not as much as she should be, though. I knew that even if she was able forgive me, I probably wouldn't be able to forgive myself. I had been so foolish such a short time ago. Looking at the small hunter now, I couldn't imagine ever harming her. The only thing I wanted to do was protect her, which, of course, I knew was completely idiotic. Other than the bond, I had no reason to want to protect her. Well, the bond and the fact that I owe it to her after what I did.

"You're so cute!" Levy squealed, hugging Lily to her chest. He blushed slightly as his head was pressed against her, and I laughed. Even that cat gets embarrassed, huh? "If you ever get fed up with that big jerk, I'd be glad to have you join Shadow Gear," she said as she finally released him.

"Hey," I growled, "what's that supposed to mean?"

"That you're a big jerk," she said, snidely.

I smirked, slowly swimming towards her. "So I'm a jerk, am I?"

"What are you--AH!" She shrieked as I lifted her out of the water, then released her. She crashed into the water, and came back up with a curse as she gasped for air.

I laughed as she splashed me, throwing insults with every wave. "You know, you're actually kind of cute when you're all pissed off like that," I chuckled.