Chapter 23: The Bad Girl Says Her Goodbyes

Start from the beginning

Will people just give me stuff if I'm in a wheel chair?

Well I guess it's not really like cancer though, right?

"You're doing that thing again when your mind runs off a thousand miles a minute. Are you ready to see everyone?" Christian asked, pulling me out of my selfish thoughts.

I have him a nod, as he went to fetch the wheel chair.

-

When we finally made it out into the waiting room, I could feel my eyes begin to water up. I told myself I wouldn't cry like a lil bitch...

... but seeing everyone huddled in a small waiting room hit me. Jared was there, trying to finesse his way into a nurses pants. Tino was at the far end of the room, sending emails off his tablet. Jaq was doing his best to shake the bag of chips out that had gotten stuck in the vending machine.

All the guys were there including Davino and some of his boys. They were fighting over Home Makeover magazines. Caleb's fists were bandaged up, probably from beating the complete shit out of the guy who flipped my car.

As soon as Caleb's eyes found mine, he bolted up. "Alex!" He called out. All the other guys stopped what they were doing, as sprung to their seats. It was Gus who somehow made it to me first.

"Oh my god our dear Alex." He weeded emotionally. Jaq just patted his shoulder in comfort.

"He gets like this." Jaq explained, but I let out a laugh and rubbed his back comfortable as he hugged me.

"It's okay, Gus. I'm fine." I assured him. Jaq did his best to peel the man away from me.

"I'm glad to see you're hanging in there." Jaq smiled. I gave him a nod and a thank you as he placed my completely punched out time card into my lap. Ms. Drangsteviet had seriously fudged my hours for me.

I took back whatever I had said about that woman. She was a total badass.

"No need to worry about the asshole who almost killed you, I-"

"Took care of it." I finished for Caleb. He always took care of things. He always took care of me and the Diaz family. Hell, he was family. Caleb couldn't help but grin as he walked up and pulled me in for a hug.

"Go get those legs working, and when you get back, you'll come home to a whole new ride." My eyes grew wide at his words. I had completely forgot about his Tesla.

"Shit I'm so-" I started but he just waved it off.

"Save it. All fixed up. I'll show you the upgraded when you return." I just nodded silently as he placed the set of car keys in my hands. Tears were now starting to stream down my face.

"Crying and I haven't even said my two cents yet, huh?" Davino and his guys grew near.

"I didn't think you'd stop partying for little ol me." I replied with a smirk. He grasped his heart dramatically.

"One does not simply choose the partying life style." I gave him an eye roll as I pulled both him and his guys down for hugs.

"Thanks for stopping by, guys."

"Thanks for not dying." Davino countered. "You know how Jared is with repair prices. Who could I haggle with if you left me? Jared would have me paying in full if he had his way." All the guys gave out a laugh, cause it was true.

I never charged this asshat full price. Because for how unreliable Davino always seemed, he was the one I could call for anything.

He set another set of keys down on my lap.

I glanced down at them. Instantly, I tried to give them back, shaking my head.

"There's no way I can accept these-this. Fuck no." But Davino just backed away.

"You're gunna need a sweet whip the second you get back. Plus, you'd have to be real dumb if you think Tino will let you ride that motorcycle. Not until you can complete every game in the olympics with those legs."

Davino was right. Tino had probably already put the bike in storage.

I glanced down at the keys to Davino's matte Dodge Viper VX. My pumpkin to carriage that first night I had met Christian.

"Thank you." I finally whispered to Davino, but his hands went up in the air to dismiss it.

"It's your motivation to get well enough to drive it."

He and the guys stepped aside to allow Jared and Tino to finally come up. "What a family, you've got here." Tino smiled down at me.

"A very extra "doing the most" family." I corrected, pushing the words out through tears. It was true though. There was about twenty something guys in this waiting room right now, here to see little old me.

"You impact everything you touch, Alex. And every last guy in here felt that shit when we saw that car roll. Every guy in here has never felt so lucky before to have met someone like you." Jared replied, crouching down to my eye level. I felt Christians hand rest on my shoulder as he gave it a squeeze, assuring me that what Jared was saying was the absolute truth.

"We know we won't see you back out on the tracks for a bit, and until then, racing won't feel the same. We're all here to tell you to get those legs up and working soon. Otherwise, Jared won't have any competition." Tino added at the end. My heart hurt from how much it was swelling right now.

I felt like the goddamn grinch after he realized Christmas didn't come from the store, and that maybe, perhaps, it mean just a little bit more.

"So I've got one more gift to you, Alex. Just one. I'm not going to offer you my car, because I'm still sore after the way you treated my p1's, nor will I hand you the shoppe because, well, you and Jared would quite frankly run it into the ground." Tino set a pair of keys down in my lap. Keys I could have recognized just by the shape. Keys I could recognize just by their touch.

I should know because I was the one that put those bumpy little ladybug stickers on them.

I was full on crying now and I couldn't help it.
These were the keys to the 1968 Pontiac GTO.

The first and last car I had ever worked on with my father.