Chapter 21: The Bad Girl Gets A Rude Awakening

Christian's POV

The last thing I could remember was Jared dropping his beer as he tugged on my arm and practically dragged me towards his pick up. He hopped in the drivers seat and I almost didn't make it into the passenger before he threw his car into drive and pulled us out onto the race track. 

"Please tell me she'll be okay." I whispered to Jared. My mind had just now started to process what was happening. My sweaty palms gripped my knees tightly as we approaching the crash site in record timing.

Racers were doing their best to get Alex out of the over turned vehicle. Jared and I ran over to the door that had now been pried out.

Alex was still strapped in to the seat, but her eyes were closed and she was unresponsive. An emergency vehicle arrived just minutes after we had, and ushered everyone out of the way to access her. I was surprised by how quickly they had come out here.

"What's it look like, Jim?" Jared asked the medic. There was extreme strain in his voice.

"Shes badly injured. We need to take her to a hospital immediately." Jim replied. "Grab the stretcher from the back of the van."

I saw Jared jog quickly to the now open doors of the medic van and he brought out the stretcher moments later. It had been propped up on the inside. Jim started working on getting Alex out from the car and another medic soon joined him from a different van that had pulled up next to us.

Her body seemed lifeless as they loaded it onto the stretcher. Blood covered the majority of her face and clothing but I could only catch a few glimpses of her before she was lifted into the back of the van with Jared at her side, and the doors slammed shut.

-

"Whats happening?" I asked Jared as soon as I made it to the hospital. I had drove right behind them him and the two emergency vehicles, but as soon as we had made it to the emergency room, I was forced to sit in the waiting area.

Jared had finally just come out after about 20 minutes of waiting.

"She's suffered some spinal injuries. They are doing everything possible to relieve the pressure otherwise the rest of her injuries aren't too major. Her legs are a little banged up and her head had suffered some damage from the impact of her face hitting the side window. She is still unconscious but has already been prepped for her operations." Jared explained.

Seconds later, the waiting room doors burst open and another man, someone I hadn't recognized, walked through.

He looked to be a little older yet noticeably good looking. His looks were tainted by the visible strain on his face. His eyes were slightly puffy around his bottom lids as if he had been crying.

"Fuck, Jared." He spoke, running his hands messily through his hair as he joined Jared in the waiting room.

Jared immediately pulled him in for a rough hug.

"She's going to be fine, Tino." Jared replied. I recognized the name almost instantly as Alex's uncle.

"I shouldnt have let her race. She wasn't ready." Tino continued.

"That's a damn lie and you know it Tino. She had every bit of control over her vehicle-" Jared started but Tino cut him off.

"It's not that, Jared. She wasn't prepared for this. For what could happen if another driver lost control like that."

"She knew the dangers. She made the decision to get out there today." Jared sighed.

There was a long pause before anyone spoke next, and it was Tino who broke the silence.