Chapter IV - Queen Normal

Start from the beginning

"I'm going to the burning moon gathering," I tell them without being asked. Darn it, Quincy! Keep your mouth shut! I knew it! I know I won't make a good spy agent.

Fortunately, they don't really care about one stupid human in the pack. One of them nods his head while another one just ignores me. They don't seem at all interested to know where I'm going.

As soon as they're gone, I look casually around before I turn my direction towards the border on the Northside and pick up speed. I'm hoping that I won't be running into any more patrolmen from now on.

Even though I can't turn into a wolf, I'm very fast. Almost as fast as a werewolf who already phased. That's something that only Jorden and Nana knew. The wind is whooshing in my ears and I'm straining my eyes in the darkness so as not to run into trees or stumble on anything. I wish the moon is brighter.

I approach the road and increase my speed as soon as I see the tail lights of Jorden's waiting car. He starts moving as soon as I jump in the back.

"You okay?" he asks me.

"Yup, I'm good. I think we're good."

The pack house is surrounded by acres of forest. The small road that connects the pack house to the rest of the world is long, narrow, and flanked by tall trees. As we pull out of the dirt road into the paved deserted country road, I hear the long mournful howling of the wolves into the crisp night air.

My heartbeat starts to settle down as the car takes me further and further away. I can't wait to be among humans though I wish I don't have to leave Jorden behind.

Only when the bus pulls out of the station and into the highway do I feel my shoulders start to relax. This is it. I'm doing this! I'm really doing this! I'm finally going to be free of werewolves. I will have nothing to do with their kind anymore except for my cousin Jonah because...well, because Jonah is family just like Jorden. I'll be a normal human among other normal humans. I'll be so normal, even the most average normal humans will feel like freaks next to my normal ass. They will bow down before me and call me Queen Normal.

*****

5 days of traveling. I did everything that Jorden taught me to do to throw them off my scent if they happen to send trackers after me. I took 3 different buses, stopped at 19 different bus stations. I took subways and lost myself in the crowd. I spent most nights on buses, except for the third night. I spent that night at a cheap little motel for a shower and a good night sleep on a proper bed. It was scary and exhausting yet exhilarating. The taste of freedom is heady.

The fifth day, I finally arrive at the bus station and give my cousin, Jonah whom I haven't seen in six years a call. It's just after 4, Friday evening.

"Jonah would love to have you there," I clearly remember Jorden said to me before I climbed into the bowel of the Greyhound bus. The person standing before me now doesn't look like someone who "would love to have me" anywhere. If anything, he looks pissed off. Scary too, with tattoos, corded muscles and piercings...and tall. What is he? 6′3"? 6′4"? I don't remember him being this tall six years ago. My 5′8" frame feels like a waif next to him.

"What are you? 6′4" or something?" My god, my filter is truly broken! I slap a hand on my mouth as soon as those words come flying out.

Jonah doesn't answer me. He just harrumphs and mumbles something under his breath. I'll take it. At this point, I'm thankful that he doesn't intend to kill me....yet. Maybe. With my broken brain to mouth filter, who knows what's going to happen in the near future.

Jorden informed me before I got on the bus that Jonah managed to secure me a place at the school but the dorm is full. That means I will have to stay with Jonah for the time being. I plan to pay rent. I have to find a job right away.