Chapter I - Evil Deviled Eggs

If you did something bad enough, they'll never ask you to do it again. That's what my Nana used to tell me.

"Quincy!!!!!" Somebody yells my name from the kitchen. Jeepers!!!! I think they've already discovered those eggs.

Well, my Nana said they might not ask you to do it again...much, she didn't say you won't get yelled at.

I slowly lower my foot out of the window and onto the ledge. When I find the footing, I swing my whole body out while my hands clutch the window frame tightly. Yessss!!! I can almost smell my freedom. Freedom here I come!!!

"There she is," says a familiar voice from below. I look down to find a few sets of angry-looking eyes. "Told you she'll try to escape through here," adds my fifteen-year-old half-sister, Caitlin Rose, her finger is still pointing at me.

Oh, Goddamn it! So close!!!

*****

"I can't believe you can't even boil eggs without burning them!" yells Luna Bianca. Luna Bianca is just a couple of years older than I am, and she never liked me before. Now I think she hates me. "Don't even bother to come down for dinner tonight. You'll be having those eggs for the next few days."

I can hear a few snickers coming from the doorway. I'm sure a couple of them come from my cousin, Joelle, and her gang.

O-kay, burnt eggs for a few days. Got it.

So, I can't cook. Sue me. My Nana tried to teach me....even she gave up! I did try, though. Why, just a month ago Gemma, the pack cook, left me in charge of making a pasta dish. I followed her instruction to a T. I swear I did. It wasn't my fault that the pasta decided to clump together and the sauce decided to jump out of the pot. The pasta came out in one big clump...or something. The sauce exploded and popped like molten lava all over the place. It was everywhere! It was even better than our science project at school. Except that everyone was yelling....and I had to clean up after....and everyone was pissed...and I had to go to bed hungry...again.

They never left me in charge of cooking anymore...until today. They must have forgotten that pasta fiesta. I was told to boil the eggs this morning. A lot of eggs! I think Gemma meant to make deviled eggs...or something. I waited and waited for the water to boil. Oh, I waited for ages! Then I got tired of waiting. That's when I went upstairs and decided to read for a bit. When I smelled it, it was already too late. The smoke alarm was blaring. Black foul smelling smoke was coming out of the pot. A whole level of the pack house was foggy and smelt of burnt eggs. The water was totally dry. The eggs at the bottom of the pot were all black and crushed. The rest of the eggs smelled burnt.

I ran around the kitchen fanning the alarm with the dishcloth, opening all windows, cursing like a sailor. I really had no clue what to do! Eeekkk!!! Then I heard footsteps coming in. So I ran up upstairs and tried to escape through the window...and that's when they caught me.

*****

I live in a pack house now. They wanted me to be one of the cooks in the house. Not like I'm an Omega or something. Nope, I'm worse...I'm a human! How does a human like me get to live in a pack house with a bunch of werewolves you ask? Well...it's a long story, but the short version is, my mom is a werewolf. She had a drunken night in town in her rebellion days. Had too much fun with a human...bibbidi bobbidi boo! Nine months later. Walla! Me!!!

So how come I'm a human, you ask. Doesn't that make me half werewolf? Well, technically, yes but I smell like a human and I don't have that inner wolf in me to change into one. I didn't get the dream where the name of my werewolf is whispered to them in a dream, signaling that my change is about to happen in a few days time when I was 13 or 15. So I'm considered a human. Well, that's just awesome! Who wants to be a werewolf anyway? Who wants to change into an ugly, furry...but somewhat cute yet fierce looking animal and run free...and have parents who are proud of them and get treated so much better...Well, not me. Obviously!