Prejudice.

I am Shylock.. The Jew of Venice.. shrewd, vindictive, cruel..

I live in an alien society filled with Christians who hate Jews.. They disgrace us ever single moment.. But eminent among them is Antonio..a NOBLE Christian Venetian..

He curses me infront of wide public.. even in Rialto where enemies mend their manners.. He kicks me off his threshold like you kick a stray dog.. He calls me a cut throat dog.. He abuses me.. But this still is quite noble of him.. For he spits on my beard.. and on my Jewish garbedine..

Yet I bear it patiently for "patience is the badge of our tribe."

But then he affects my business too.. He lends money "gratis".. free of interest.. and thus brings down the rates of interest here in Venice..

He says he hates me for taking high rates of interest.. But is it really my fault.. We Jews aren't allowed to engage in any profession except money lending.. And to live, I need to earn.. And thus I'm compelled to take high rates of interest.. Further on, money is my sole staff to bear the cold wrath of the Christian society..

He never asked me why.. No one did.. Because I'm a Jew..

Today I lost my case..I lost the trial..

I know what I did was wrong and two wrongs don't make a right.. But perhaps being satisfied with the second wrong is better than being mentally and economically tortured with the first wrong throughout my entire life..

I had lost my child long ago.. To a Christian.. With her I lost my dead wife's ring.. Today with the case, I lost my fortune.. My staff.. And what not.. I lost my birthright..I lost my Jewish name.. I am asked to give up my Jewish race and be over of those I hate so much..A Christian..

Should I not ask Antonio that if he wants me to lend money gratis then he should gift and not sell his merchandise.. Or should I ask why he was so careless and overconfident to give in to my bond..

Or should I ask Bassanio why he let his so called best friend enter the bond in the first place..Or should I ask why he choosed to not work hard and pay off the debts but marry poor little rich Portia..

But none of them is to blame.. it's me.. Because I'm a Jew..

Why? "Hath a Jew not eyes? Hath a Jew not hands? Senses , organs , dimensions , affections , passion..Fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, Heal'd by the same means.. Warm'd and cool'd by the same summer and winter as a Christian is? If you prick us do we not bleed? If your tickle is so we not laugh? If you poison is do we not die? And if you wrong us do we not take revenge? If a Jew wrong a Christian what is his humanity? And if a Christian wrong a Jew why should his sufference be by the Christian example? Why revenge.. The villany you teach me I'll execute.."

I am Shylock.. And this was my story related by ME.