Chapter 5 - When I look at You!

"Come on, Rick, Handcuffs?

“It’s me, your friend Scott.  I already told you what happened.  Mike, Rick, Why?  Why are you doing this?” shouted Scott scowling at his friend for his actions.

"It’s procedure, and besides if I don't, you know that the Captain will have my ass for deviation of procedure.  At least, I am handcuffing you with your arms upfront, it's more comfortable.  Now, I am going to read you your Miranda rights, this is...”

"Procedure I know, damn it!!! Answered Scott irritated by all this.

"You have the right to remain silent.  Anything you say can be used against you in a court of law.  You have the right to an attorney, if you cannot afford one, one will be appointed.  Do you understand these rights as I have read them to you?”

"Come on Rick we don't have all day" blurted Matt from the driver's seat of the Ambulance.  "It’s already getting late; look the sun is starting to set.  I know we have been here barely less than an hour, but remember, you have to escort us to the Hospital, too." 

Josh already was in the back, closing the doors preparing for the ride to Mount Sinai Hospital.

"OK, OK, and Yes Rick I did; now please can we get on with it, I would really like to get this over with."  Scott answered rolling his eyes to Rick.

"Good, now watch your head Scott and get in.” answered Mike as he tiptoed to placed his hand on top of Mike’s head to guard against the edge of the door on his way into the squad car’s back seat.

While the sun started to set over the tranquil sea of Miami Beach, both vehicles started their journey back to Downtown Miami.   It was a thirty minute ride, hopefully without traffic.   Rick was driving while Michael rode shotgun calling the station, engrossed in his own conversation of codes stating the events of the afternoon.  Once finished, he turned on the radio and looked out the window.

In the back seat, Samanta and Scott kept quiet since sliding into the squad car, both of them trying to get comfortable within their seating spaces. 

Samanta looked out the window her mind thinking on the life she used to know.   In her 21 years of life, she never expected to change so much. 

She had been very happy growing up, her family in their humble ways made certain that she and her brother always had the basic necessities.  Nothing was ever missing from their lives; they had a roof over their heads, clothing, food…

But most important, their entire home was filled with tons of love and laughter to go around.  Her father, José Monserrate was a good father and husband.  Her mother, Diana, had always been a housewife, taking care of them, watching every need of their household.   Her younger brother of 7 years, Esteban, was her shadow and what brought smiles to her face with his antics.

Mom and Dad were very much in love. The way they gazed at each other, the tiny loving gestures they had between themselves, it always showed how strong their love was.  Mi vida,… mi cielo,… Diana, te amo."   The lasting memories of how her father always hugged and kissed her mother everyday were engraved on her mind.   That was the type of love she hoped one day to have, but now she wasn't so sure. 

All of that changed, that fateful day when her Dad disappeared.  She was 17 years old when it happened.  He was a Detective over at the Dade County Precinct, and was very respected and loved between his colleagues.  He never gave them details of the cases he worked on, he used to say it was better that they didn’t know.  He had been working on very complicated case, which had him very stressed at that time.   That day he said goodbye like every other day he went in to work; but he never came back home.  As the hours passed, another colleague came to bring the terrible news.   He had been working covert in a delicate anti-drug operation.  But the operation did not go as planned, and when the drug dealers found out all hell broke loose.  After the cops got the situation under control, Jose was nowhere to be found.