Chapter 10

"Wake up. Wake up." The voice is distorted. "Get up, now." They are shaking me.

"What?" I sit up and rub my eyes.

"It's time to get up." It's 905. "I've been assigned as your personal guard."

"Oh? I didn't know that I would have a personal guard."

"Prisoners usually don't. The only reason you do is because we are familiar with you."

"What do you mean?" I stand up and hold out my wrists. "Your going to have to put cuffs on me aren't you?"

"I meant the people who work here know you very well, and no, I'm not gonna put the cuffs on you."

"What? Why?"

"Why can't you just be grateful. I could put them on if you want me to." He turns around to grab them.

"No. I was just wondering why you don't think I'll run or-or attack you." I shift my weight from one foot to another. "Why do you trust me?"

"Because you are just like I was when I got taken here."

"Where is here? I just can't shake the feeling that this has to do with Brad or Vic or Rose in some way or another." I start to walk out the door but 905 stands in front of me without letting me through.

"Look, I can't tell you yes or no. If I could I would've the first time you asked, but 1 would kill me worst than 1002 would if you got away." He looks at the ground. "It's time for your training."

"Training?" I shake my head. "I will never work for this place."

"Then let me take you to 1. He's the only one who can change that." He starts to walk down the hall. Before I realize he's gone he is halfway down.

I start to run. "Wait!" Another girl walks around the corner and I run into her.

"What the hell?" She draws back her arm and her fist connects with my face. I reach up and touch my jaw. Then before I know what's happening she's on the ground knocked out and 905 is standing in front of me staring in awe.

"What did you do? She was the strongest girl that lived here and you, you just got here and you are half her size." 905 grabs my wrist. "No one else saw this?" I violently shake my head. "Ok. Let's go. Now! If you " He drags me down two halls and we finally stop in front of a room that had a white, bold 1 on the front of the door. "This is 1's room. You need to talk to him to get out of training."

1 opens the door and I recognize him immediately. "R-Rayne. What are you doing here?"

"Why aren't you wearing a mask like the rest?" I look him up and down.

"Because I don't need one. I'm not in any records so no one would know who I was anyway."

"So, are you still in touch with Josie?" I scoff.

"No, my clients talk to me once then never talk to me again."

"So your not here to kill me this time?"

"No. What do you need 905?"

"Ahem. She was wondering if you could take her out of training."

He waves his hand. "Yeah. Sure. Whatever."

"O-ok." He sounded surprised. "Let's go." He leads me back to my cell. "How do you know 1?"

"Josie, the mom of the family I was staying with, hired him as a hitman. To kill me." I look over at 905, he looks surprised or sickened, I can't tell which.

"That's what his other job is." 905 mutters as he drops his eyes to the ground. "That's what's paying for this place and us."

"Well, what do I do now that I'm not in training anymore?"