Chapter 7

I wake up. I feel weird, my limbs are tingling. "Hello?" The only response is the echo of my own voice. I look around and realize I'm not in my room, I'm in the basement. The ties around my wrist dig in and leave long red lines. "H-how? I thought I was in my room, asleep."

A feminine laugh rings out from a dark corner. "You were, silly girl. I simply drugged you with my," The voice whispers. "Special recipe." They start to talk normal again. "You seem so confused."

"Who the hell are you?" I look toward the sound.

"My little one. I am only who you imagine me as."

"What do you mean?"

"I am only who you make me be. I cannot be who you do not want me to be." They chuckle. "Oh. Look at the time. I've got to go." I hear a door shut and fading footfalls.

I struggle, trying to free myself but the ties get tighter and tighter. I scream hoping someone will hear me. There's a clock above a door. I can only watch the ticking of the hands.

Two hours later I hear the scurrying of feet behind me. Something falls over making a metallic noise. I feel hot breath on my ankles but I can't move. Air is moving, it sounds like sniffing. A pitbull runs to the front of me, growling. He walks closer and jumps at my face. I scream and try to push him away then I realize he's licking my face. He whimpers and hides in a corner.

"No. No. Come here, I'm not gonna hurt you." He slinks out from the corner and nudges my hand. The door creaks open as my kidnapper walks in. Before she can say anything the pitbull takes off after her. She starts running to the door. He bites the back of her dress, I hear a tearing noise as the door slams shut. He walks over and spits out the piece of red fabric dangling from his mouth. I look at him. "I wish I had something to get out of here with." He starts walking behind me. "Where are you going?" He comes back with a rusty steak knife and nudges my hand with it. "Your smart." I take it and slowly cut the ties. Once I'm free, I kneel down and hold his head in my hands. "You need a name. How 'bout," I look into his two different colored eyes, one pale blue and one almost black. "Do you like Onyx? Do you want your name to be Onyx?" He jumps and spins in circles. "I take that as a yes."

"What have you done?!" I hear the womens voice but I don't know where she is. Onyx looks just as confused as I am. I look up and see an intercom.

"What do you mean?" I grip the knife tightly.

"You took my dog from me. He loved me." Onyx growls.

"He clearly doesn't. Maybe he realized how much of a sick-" She cuts me off.

"Don't you dare talk back to me. Rayne. Do you know who I am?"

"No. I don't. Who are you?"

"My name is Rose. You probably don't remember me but I am your birth mother. I gave you away when you were one. I couldn't take care of you but I thought Vic could. Vic has left you and so has your father."

"Who's Vic?"

"Oh, right. You know her as mom or Harper. She went by those names to keep you safe. Her real name is Vic. She was keeping you safe until she learned there was one of them in the family. Brad." His name echoes through my brain.

"What do you mean 'one of them'?" Onyx nudges my thigh. "It's ok. I think." I whisper to him.

"We were part of a corporation that held to many secrets. Me and Vic found them out. I took the fall for both of us. Me and Vic were best friends. When she found out they were coming after me to kill me, she offered to raise you and take care of you. Well you know the rest."