Chapter 8

I wake up on the cold, tile floor. When I try to get up, a sharp pain shoots through my arm and side. I lay back down and pull up my shirt to reveal cut that leads from my shoulder down to my hip. They make a rose in the end. I crawl to the bathroom and dress my wound. I slowly stand, the pain still shoots through my body but it's not as bad. The rest of my house is a mess, like someone was looking for something. 'What would they be looking for?' Onyx runs out of his room, stumbling as he makes his way across the floor. "Hey. Are you hurt." He jumps up and starts licking my face. I start to laugh but stop because I reopened my wound. "Fuck." Onyx cowers. "No. No. It's not your fault. I promise." He starts to wag his tail again.

After I let the wound stop bleeding, I drive to the store to get some more wraps for my arms and side. I walk to the check out and the cashier smiles at me.

"Hi." He has black hair, green eyes, he's skinny, and tall.

"Hi." I move a strand of hair behind my ear.

"What breed of dog do you have?"

"Pitbull. He's a sweet dog but very protective."

"You seem like a sweet girl." I feel my cheeks get hot. He smiles. "Do you wanna hang out sometime?"

"Umm. Sure. What's your phone number?"

"802-456-7734. The names Reed Hall. What's yours, so I know who's calling."

"802-990-3267. The names Rayne Horell. I'll see you soon?"

"Ya. Here's your stuff." He hands me my bags.

Onyx cocks his head at me when I get in the car. "What?" He barks at me. "Do you want a treat?" He lays down. "Ok." I open a bag and lay the treat on the seat. It's gone within seconds. "Were you that hungry?" He lays down.

When I get home one of my windows is shattered. Onyx starts barking and jumps through the window. I hear someone yelling at Onyx to get away from them. I open my unlocked door like a normal human being and see Vic.

"Tell this mutt to back off." She's standing on my table waving her hand at Onyx, who is trying to bite her without getting on the table.

"No. This is pretty funny." I sit on the couch and watch her try to shoo Onyx away. "He's not a mutt, he's a purebred pitbull. So you better watch yourself. He's very touchy about what people call him.Why are you here anyway?"

"I wanted to see you. Rose contacted me saying that she told you everything and i wanted to explain everything correctly." She shrieks as Onyx tries to bite her.

"Onyx. Guard." He sits with a low rumble in his throat. "Okay. Explain."

"LIke she told you. You are adopted, but the only reason I took you in was the fact that the company wanted to kill you and her. I couldn't let them kill you. You were just a baby and didn't know anything about the company. Rose agreed to let me take you, and told the company that she was the one who hacked the computers and that she was alone. The company told her to run and never return. Rose has been on the run since, she's only just now surfaced. I've been searching for her, I wanted to show her the woman you have become. You're so smart, loving, and so so so strong." I see a tear work it's way down her cheek.

I'm still standing with the same stern look. "How do I know that you aren't lying?"

"Raynie. I'm not lying. I love you and I would never do anything to hurt you." She's looking a me with pleading eyes.

"What about Brad. You let him do all that stuff to me. He raped me and got me pregnant, then crashed my car to kill the baby because I wouldn't get an abortion." I continue to stare at her, waiting to hear her next pathetic response.

"I was sleeping with him so he wouldn't hurt you or your dad. I had to let him do that stuff to you or else he would've killed you, your dad, and me. The company has no mercy for any living thing." She forgets about Onyx and tries to step down. Onyx jumps up at her and she scrambles back onto the table.

"Shouldn't dad have known that then?"

"He did. Us breaking up was just a cover up from the company. Me and your dad are living happily in another country where they cannot hurt us."

"If I tell Onyx to let you go, will you leave silently and without any problems?"

"Yes." Onyx backs away and leads her to the door. Before she leaves she takes one last look at me then shuts the door.

"Well. That was emotionally exhausting." 

"Hello? Hello? Is anyone here?" I look toward the front door where a masculine voice is coming from. 

"Who is it? " I take a step toward the door.

"Delivery? I've knocked three times." I can see a red hat from the window.

"I haven't ordered anything." 

"This is from another address. I was told to bring it here."

"Then just set it on the front porch." 

"Ok." I heard a thump and receding footsteps. I open the door and see a small box, about the size of a shoe box. I pick it up and gently set in on the table where Vic was sitting a few minutes ago. I get a spatula from the drawer and begin to open the box with it. 'If this blows up and ruins this table someone's gonna go through hell.' I open the box all the way and duck. Nothing happens. I slowly stand up fully and look inside. A smaller box is sitting in the center. 'Are you kidding me. Why does everything have to be so complicated. And I can't open this one with a spatula.' I pick it up and slide the top off to reveal yet another smaller box. I slide the top off this on and reveal a USB drive. I pick it up and there's a letter underneath of it. I delicately unfold it and read it.

'Rayne. If you are reading this you have been told everything. I just wanted you to know that you are still being watched. By me, Brad, Tyson, and Ruben. We are always watching so don't even think about taking this letter to the police. I know how you are, I have always known. I've watched you since you were a baby.

-Trace'

A feel a sharp pain in my neck and suddenly the floor is catching my fall.