Chapter 13: Welcome to the New Age

Start from the beginning

He thought he had more time. They both did. Now there's nothing but the slow realization their time with Leia is up... and the fear that they wasted the opportunity.

Rey's been trying to imagine it, to picture it— how to move forward without Leia. But all she sees is a future with a blank where Leia should be.

Leia had given Rey what she needed more than anything— unwavering faith. When Rey confessed to her what had happened in the volcano, her destiny as revealed by the Force to be the Living Word, Leia believed her immediately. She told her that she knew from the moment she saw her that the Force had chosen her... that she had an important role to play in finding balance for the galaxy.

Leia set right to work. She provided Rey with the resources needed to establish her new school, an academy designed to train Force-sensitive former slaves. She helped secure funding for two other schools, each devoted to developing a newly discovered use of the Force. But most importantly, Leia went to battle in the Senate. She fought against the most reactionary legislation, like the proposal to register all Force-sensitives in a central database for law enforcement. She put together and chaired a committee charged with developing a fair but effective plan for keeping the galaxy safe in the New Age, one that would allow for growth of Force use while also curtailing its possible abuses. She worked together with Rey to build this plan. She made a consistent, genuine effort to understand Rey's calling to show the galaxy the true nature of the Force, that it's more complex than darkness and light. She visited her Force academy frequently as well as the other schools. She talked with the students there for hours, listening to them share their experiences since the Force had awakened in them.

Leia always did everything from the heart. She was more than just a mentor to Rey... she was a partner, a true friend.

And now she's gone.

Rey feels a pang in her chest, the hollow pull of a loneliness that she hasn't experienced in quite a while. As the empty feeling creeps upon her, in a strange way, she almost welcomes it. It's only hazily familiar, like trying to remember a dream. It reminds her how far she's come, how different her life is now. It's easy enough to banish the feeling. She looks to her left to see Finn standing with Rose, Jian directly in front of them. Irenie is standing in front of Ben, who's holding Rey with one hand and Soya with the other. More than ever before, Rey feels like part of a family, multiple families even. Her family with Ben, her family at the Force academy... She no longer leads a solitary life, detached, responsible only for her own survival. Now she's part of a community. And she's grateful for it every day.

And she's grateful for the past three years with Leia, for the opportunity to get to know her not just as a leader but as a person.

When they were fighting the First Order, Leia always seemed so tough, like nothing could get to her. Whatever she said, she said with confidence. Whatever she did, she did with certainty. Rey was shocked to find out how vulnerable she could be once she got to know her. Leia had her doubts and fears just like everyone else, maybe more so. But Leia taught her that fear isn't in itself indicative of weakness. It's what you choose to do with the fear.

Suddenly, a memory washes over her, a memory of the night before she and Leia first spoke on the Senate floor together. Rey was so nervous. She couldn't eat. She couldn't sleep. Leia stayed up with her late into the night, just talking with her, listening to her. She sat in a large chair in the living room, arms resting elegantly on either side, eyes clear and bright and knowing. Rey can hear the General's voice in her head now...

"You remember what the Jedi said about fear, right? That it's the first step along the path to the dark side? Well, I'm no Jedi. I'm not trained in the ways of the Force. But I've had many opportunities to learn a thing or two about fear in my lifetime. And while it's true fear can lead you to a dark place if you let it, that's not the only place it leads. When fear rises, you have a choice. Do you try to bury it, like my son? Do you run from it? Or do you confront it?"