Chapter 7

"Meet me at 2nd and James if you want to see your parents alive... don't bring Ashton." 

I called Mom and Dad a million times while running down the streets of the lit up city. 

I almost ran past a small road to my left, but I stopped and turned towards it. My heart, my brain, my soul- broke. 

I was 2 feet away from them... but whoever the man was, shot both of them in less than a second. Destroying me in less than a second. 

"Ashton..." I knelt down next to him. Tears now ran down my cheeks, the taste of salt filled my mouth. 

"I-I love you." he finished. Finished.   

_____________

I awoke, yet another morning with my head pounding. I groaned as I sat up, I looked around trying to see what woke me up from this nightmare. Because thank god, I searched for Grandpa but realized it was my alarm that was going off.

Oh right, Grandpa's taking an early shift today.

I yawned as I sat up and ruffled up my hair, which by the way was a mess. Why can't girl's hair be as attractive in the morning as guy's? I shook my head, way too weird for the morning Ashlyn.

I walked into my mom's closet- still not being able to call it mine. Regardless of how many times I walk in her- the beauty of the closet would never fade. It wasn't about the size or the fancy cupboards. It was the wall, the breathtaking wall. The memories of my mother's life before me. It was the past that I couldn't move past; I couldn't move past- the fact that life was once pure.

I showered and did my daily morning routine. Which consisted of showering, brushing, doing my hair all at top speed.

I walked outside of my room for the first time in the morning and walked towards the kitchen that was usually full of Grandpa's energetic personality. The morning felt dull without Grandpa, he honestly knew how to make me happy. I made my toast and ate quietly. So quiet I could hear the chirps of the birds coming back from the south.

I grabbed a scrap piece of paper and wrote Grandpa a note. The morning wasn't as same without you, hope you had a good day. See you in the afternoon. - Ashlyn

I taped it the refrigerator, knowing the second Grandpa would walk in the house he'd go to the kitchen. I grabbed my backpack and walked out of the quiet house. I still can't call it a home. What is wrong with me?

_____________

I walked down the school hallway, full of students ready to pass out. I kept my head down low while I walked past groups of kids. "I heard he's not here today,"

"Is he sick?"

"I doubt it,"

"It's Jacob, he's not ditching."

My eyebrows furrowed as I registered what they had just said. I shook my head, people just start gossiping over the littlest things. Why do they care if he's here or not? He's probably late or something. My face relaxed as I saw a familiar face through the crowd.

"You're late, miss #2."

"We had this conversation yesterday Ashley! I'm number one." Ashley rolled her eyes, "Sure you are," I bumped her shoulder as we walked down the unfamiliar halls.

"Where are we going?" I asked, confused about where she was leading me. "I honestly have no clue, go with the flow Ashlyn. We'll find our way back." Ashley assured me.