Prologue

Prologue

What do we do when life takes an unexpected turn? Can we ever know what will happen to us, from one day to the next? Rebecca certainly didn’t, as this was proven one fateful day two weeks ago. A single action turned her world upside down, quite literally, as her life came crashing down around her. The life she thought she once had was thrown out of the window on that one fateful evening; her life would never be the same again.

She had taken something; a lost golden ring. She had no idea who it belonged to or where it had come from, as she had found it in the wreckage of a car, left abandoned. That's when it all changed. Being followed home and nearly attacked, she was rescued by a mysterious man; the one who changed her life. Frightened and confused, she had refused to give him back his lost ring; this is where it all started. She had stolen his ring, so she too was stolen, kidnapped, by him, taken away from her home, her past life, throwing her into a world of danger, magic and lies. He was more than just a man; he was a god; The God of Mischief and Lies. He was Loki. His failure to conquer the earth left Rebecca trapped with the Avengers, leading her to make a few discoveries of her own. He had done more than just steal her mind; he had stolen her heart. So couldn't stop thinking about him; it drove her to madness. Everything he had showed her, everything she had seen, proved that her past life was a lie. Nobody cared about her disappearance that much, they just carried on with their lives as normal. Rebecca couldn’t; her mind was no longer her own. Even though Loki had put her in great danger, and she had nearly died, she still cared about him, in more ways than one.

He had been sent back to Asgard, his home, after his defeat at the hands of the Avengers, to face the punishment of his crimes. She knew it wasn’t his fault; he hadn’t meant to cause so much destruction, as he had only been following orders, being manipulated by a powerful force. He had failed to conquer the Earth, but had won in conquering Rebecca’s heart.  He had sworn to protect her from all the evil that she would face in the world, but he didn’t. She had been left, alone and forgotten. The only thing she had left to remember him, to remember everything, was the golden cuffs that she still wore as part of her imprisonment, and his ring. “Keep it to remember me”, Loki had whispered to her, his final words at his defeat to the Avengers. Her mind kept replaying those words in her head, seeing his beautiful deep green eyes staring at her, feeling his cold lips against hers, trapped in a moment. She was intoxicated by him, and forever his….

The one fateful evening, one week after the events of New York.

On the evening of her eighteenth birthday, her parents had decided to pop out for a few hours, leaving her home alone. She stood, in her bedroom, admiring herself in the mirror, in the lovely golden dress that she had had for a present, her brown hair hanging loose at her shoulders, her complexion pale. She hated herself, just as much as everyone else did. She looked down at her wrists, at the golden bracelets that still hung there. They had become a part of her, and she never made any attempt to take them off. She had never wanted too, as they were the only thing that kept her believing that the life she was living, day to day, in her small town, was a lie. She walked over to her bedside table, and pulled out a necklace, which had a small, golden ring hung on it. She took it off its chain, and held it up, looking at it. Somehow tonight, she felt drawn to it in a way she had never felt before. She wanted to wear it, for it to be hers, to claim it.

Walking over to the window, she looked up at the stars, lost in thought. Without realising it, she took the ring in her hand, and placed it onto her finger. The world around her darkened, but she didn’t notice; as she was too busy looking at the stars. She blinked. The stars were not the same stars anymore, and nor was the large golden window frame of which she now looked out of. Gasping in surprise, she spun around to see her bedroom had gone. Instead, she stood in a much darker, grander bed chamber, with golden architecture everywhere. She gasped walking around the room, trying to take it all in the darkness. “Rebecca”, a voice whispered. She froze in her tracks, her eyes transfixed on the silhouette of a figure sat near the bed, hidden in the shadows. The figure got up, the sound of chains accompanying its every move as it stepped slowly out into the light. Her eyes widened in shock as she recognised the imprisoned man in front of her. His green eyes sparkled, a sly grin on his pale face, he simply said to her, “Welcome to Asgard”.