(Before the End) The Letters

(Mrs. Mexuis//Sonic's Mother)

"And this is where you'll be staying for the rest of your life." The Cell Guard told her as she was pushed inside before immediately locking the cell door behind her. Mary looked around as she let herself drop to the ground, feeling an overwhelming bitterness and hopelessness inside. 

Days quickly turned to months, and the cell that was unfamiliar at first then became like home to her. Maybe because it was the only place where she feels like she belongs. Because even though she has lived her whole life in that Manor, where she only renovated it to fit her taste better, this cell was more homey to her compared to that of the Manor. It's the only place she has felt that someone wanted her, at least in this prison, she was detained because she was wanted. Back at the Manor, even if she tried to fool herself, her family always look at each other with contempt. Now it was nighttime, and only one light was provided for every three meters of the prison cell's halls. The other inmates were already sleeping soundly, some snored and some almost fell out of their bed. There, she sat down on the mat that they gave her and contemplated when her life started to go downhill. 

"Maybe I should have just killed myself before things went south," She thought to herself as she quietly went through the cabinet to find the box she hid inside. It was the only thing she wanted to bring from the Manor since most of her things weren't that appropriate for prison. She hastily opened the cardboard box, looking for something that was jumbled up from all the little trinkets she brought to keep herself sane. As she was looking for a small jeweled ball, she then uncovered the letters that were given from her son's subordinate. She looked at the letters that were folded neatly with a ribbon tied to them, she looked at the letters for a while, deciding if she really wanted to know the contents of the letters of her sister. After choosing, she slowly untied the ribbon that was keeping the letters in place and opened one. 

______________________________________________________________________

Dear Little Mary, 

This time, I just met you earlier at the care unit. Mom is still sleeping soundly after giving birth to you, with Dad by her side. Seeing your chubby cheeks and cute little nose makes me so happy that I now can't wait to finally be able to hold you. It was my long-time wish to have a little sister, and now that you're here, I can't wait to show you the things I have prepared. I will remember to show the secret passageways and hideouts we could use, my favorite spots to relax, and the beautiful flowers and scenery we have at our home. Did you know, little Mary, that I was so overjoyed that I got to pick your name? I chose Mary because others say that it means beloved, but I also chose it because I think it's such a beautiful name for you. Since it means beloved, everyone and everything would surely love you. In this family, I promise to never make you feel lonely and unloved. I love you, my little sister!                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Sincerely, Cristina.

______________________________________________________________________

Dear Little Mary,

By the time you're reading this, you'll already be ten years old. I wish you a happy birthday, and for that, I will surely send you a hundred wishes and prayers along with your new ball. Your big sister really enjoys watching you play football with your friends, so when I learned that your favorite ball was no longer in good condition from Nana, I made sure to buy you a new one. I'm so proud of you, and seeing you smile was always my guilty pleasure. I couldn't help but skip classes to just see you. Although our parents will undoubtedly become upset, your big sister is prepared to do anything to make you happy. Of course, as promised, I will sneak into your room to give you your favorite. Strawberry cake with extra cream and strawberries.