Chapter 30: A Goodbye

Start from the beginning

"Rairairai!" Ash whipped around, and he wasn't the only one. They all turned, and Hala cracked an eye open, stowing the empty box in his robe, as Hau came steamrolling across the docks, a huge bag of malasadas hanging behind him, with Pipi carrying a smaller bag. He skidded to a stop, panting heavily, his hands on his knees.

"If you'll let me, of course, Lillie!" Hau said, straightening up with a giant grin on his face. "I've got the malasadas to spare! They're what took me so long! I know you want to see lots of things, and so do I! I've lived in Alola all my life, but imagine how much fun Pipi and the others could have if we all go on a great journey together!"

Lillie stood there, staring at Hau with widened eyes, and then she smiled, her eyes gleaming over every inch of their surface. She walked forward and quickly embraced the boy, malasadas and all, holding him tight before drawing back and offering him a kiss on the cheek. "All right, Hau! Let's go together!"

"Aw, yeah!" Hau said, pumping his fists. Gladion rolled his eyes, just as a loud sound began to fill the air. Ash looked up with the others, seeing a plane come moving in towards the airport on the other side of the docks. Their departure from Alola was nearly there, something Kukui clearly realized, because he began to walk off towards Akela, who offered them yet one more nod. Serena returned it. "We're gonna have awesome adventures, Pipi!"

"Raichurai!" Pipi said, swaying back and forth giddily in the air. Hau then faced towards Gladion and Ash.

"Don't you worry, guys! We're gonna have lots more adventures, then we'll all battle again!" the energetic boy called, throwing his hand out. Gladion smirked and shared the sentiment, though it looked almost like he wanted to crush Hau's hand. Ash tried to prevent that from happening by quickly putting his own hand in.

"All right, let's promise. We take care of ourselves, and one day we'll meet and battle again. Until then, we all promise to do our very best!" Ash called. Gladion smiled and Hau grinned before they, too, threw their hands in the air. Hau then pointed to his grandfather as a foghorn, indicating boarding for the boat that Lillie and he were going to take, sounded out.

"You, too, tutu! We'll be back to Alola someday, and then we'll really make you go all out! By then, I'll be worthy enough to become a Kahuna, myself! That's my promise!" Hala seemed to like that, for he gave a booming laughter and walked forward to embrace his grandson.

"That is something I'll wait for." They were the exact words Hau wanted to hear.

"Maybe you'll even challenge me," Kukui responded with his own grin, offering a hand to the boys. They all took it in turn. The foghorn blew once again.

"Hau, hurry! We don't want to miss the ship!" Lillie shouted. She quickly spun around, grinning just as much as Hau, as she quickly launched forward, gathering all four of her family into a hug. She spoke no words, pouring all emotion into that momentary hug before she disengaged and ran for the large boarding ramp. Hau quickly sped after her, Pipi floating right behind her. They jumped on the ramp, the familiar-looking excitement of a new adventure coming off of all their pores and expressions. The second they touched down, the foghorn blew again and the ramp retracted.

Ash turned in the ship's direction, hearing the plane touch down on the asphalt over a ways, but he ran down the docks. Serena, Clemont and Bonnie were right behind him, trying to keep up to the ship that was now pulling away swiftly. Soon, he reached the edge of the docks, briefly looking back to see Hala and Gladion making their way towards the building that served as the lobby for both the ferry between islands and the planes. Ash cupped his hands around his mouth.

"Goodbye, Lillie! Goodbye, Hau!" he shouted over the ocean, causing some Wingull to scatter. "Have lots of fun! Lots of adventures!"

"Pika pika!"