Chapter Six | Bingo

Only a few minutes after the two walked into the bedroom, Nick walked out to let Ashlie have her space for a moment. For her to settle in and try to collect her thoughts. He knew it wasn't easy to adjust to the situation. It took him a couple of weeks to do that.

It was almost an hour later before Ashlie walked out of the room and headed downstairs.

"Hello?" She called as she glanced around the bottom floor of the house. "Nick?" It was another few moments before she earned a response from the man he called for.

"Hey, in the kitchen," Nick responded, quickly glancing up from the book in front of him. Ashlie emerged from the hallway that led into the kitchen.

"Hey," she quietly said with a halfhearted wave. "Sorry for disappearing on you. I just, I'm not really sure about everything going on."

There was a moment of awkward silence between the two, both of them not sure of what to say next.

"You want anything to eat? Drink?" Nick asked, earning a grateful sigh from Ashlie.

"Oh, I can just get it," she told him with a faint and somewhat forced smile. She went into the fridge and grabbed one of the water bottles that were stored on the bottom shelf. "Wow. They, um.. they really keep you stocked up here, huh?" She asked as her eyes scanned the fridge. That earned her an almost sarcastic laugh from Nick.

"Yeah, yeah they do. It's surprising since whoever put me - us - here really seemed intent on having us murdered, so. I don't know."

Ashlie looked back at him for a moment as she shut the refrigerator door. Nick looked at her at the same time, causing their eyes to connect. That seemed to push him to continue speaking.

"It's like what families do with pets before they put them down," he bitterly said, a bland, dry chuckle escaping him. "They do everything that they love to do and they give them anything that they want. And then the next day? They kill them."

Ashlie stared at him for a second, having to adjust her grip on the water bottle before it fell.

"So we're only here to die?" She asked him. He looked back to her.

"Bingo."