Chapter 8

Gregor felt instant joy as he saw her smile. Her face lit up, and her cheeks turned a deep shade of red. He had not seen her for close to two years, and she now stood before him, more beautiful than when he saw her last. Suddenly, he felt a pang if guilt when he realized that she also had waited two years, and it was his fault.
"Luxa, I'm sorry..." he started, walking toward her. "I shouldn't have been gone for so long. I wanted to come, but my mom..." he started to ramble excuses. "She hates this place. She doesn't even know I'm here, and she wouldn't let me visit or write or—" she stopped his rant with a sudden kiss. She stood on her toes and pressed her lips against his. Gregor was startled by this, but he didn't pull away. He felt the tingling feeling, like the rager feeling in his veins. Gregor had spent countless sleepless nights, remembering her lips, and now, after two years of being completely and utterly alone, he felt the lips he never thought he'd kiss again.
After a moment, she parted and she hugged him, pressing her head against his chest. She squeezed him tightly.
"I do not care, Gregor. You are here now." She said quietly, but it took her some effort to say the words. He knew he had hurt her when he left, and the longer he was gone, the less hope she had for his return. But now, he felt her body begin to shake, as she started to cry. "But you left me! I needed you and you left!" She sobbed. Gregor was taken aback by the sudden bursts of emotion. First love, then forgiveness, now sorrow. Gregor was still stuck on guilt. "I know. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have left. It was a horrible thing to leave you when you had a city to rebuild and rule. Luxa, please forgive me!" He asked genuinely. He really had been sorry. He never wanted to leave, and he felt like he had betrayed Luxa when he did.
"It is not easy to forgive when you left me with a kingdom upon my back." She admitted. She had been crushed with the responsibility of being queen when he left, and it would take more than Gregor's return to forgive him completely. Gregor had no words. He didn't expect her to forgive him. She had every right to hate him and Gregor couldn't blame her for all he'd put her through. Luxa pulled away from the hug and stood to look at him, her eyes still watering.
"I do not fully forgive you yet. But this is a start." She said with a small smile.
"I couldn't ask you for more." He replied and hugged her again. She dried her eyes, and stepped back. She suddenly looked like the old Luxa again. She stood tall and resumed her royal posture. She took a deep breath.
"However, I did not send for you. Why have you returned?" She asked.
"Vikus and Ripred had me brought down here. But they didn't tell me why." He said. "Vikus told me he didn't want to tell you, because he didn't want any distractions." Luxa gave a little huff of disapproval.
"I shall have a word with him when I return." She said.
"Luxa, do you know why Vikus and Ripred would want me down here?" Gregor asked her. She looked at him, and then at Aurora, who fluttered uncomfortably.
"No." She lied. Even if she didn't know for sure, Gregor thought she probably had a guess.
"Then why don't we go ask him?" He said. She agreed and hopped on to Aurora, inviting him on too. As he mounted the golden bat, he greeted her.
"Hey. Aurora, good to see you again."
"Greetings, Overlander. I am glad to see you as well." She purred back.
Gregor took his spot behind Luxa on Aurora. As they took off, Gregor remembered something.
"Oh, and Luxa, I may have accidentally brought some friends with me." She looked back at him, with a concerned glance.
"Oh Gregor, I'm afraid that your timing has been very unfortunate." She said.
"How so?" He asked, though he wasn't surprised at all.
"Vikus did not tell you?" She asked, confused.
"Tell me what? My friends aren't in danger. Are they? Vikus told them they could leave as soon as the bats had rested." He began to get concerned. She almost laughed,
"You have much to be told when we get back to Regalia, Gregor." She said with a smile. "I'm afraid your friends will not be leaving quite so soon, however. It is not safe yet." Gregor sighed, as he realized that he wouldn't get the answers he needed from her.
"Is it ever safe?" He said.
"Rarely. And whenever it is, I never have anyone to spend my time with." She said sadly. She leaned back and rested her head on his shoulder. Gregor wrapped his arms around her. He didn't know exactly how to respond to her remark, so he said nothing. Instead, he just kissed her cheek. She took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Gregor would've been content with staying there forever, but Gregor recognized the walls of the tunnels, and knew they were getting close to Regalia.

Aurora glided down to the High Hall, and Luxa and Gregor dismounted. Luxa led, and walked briskly to the Dining hall to meet Vikus. As they walked, Gregor tried again.
"Luxa, can you tell me what's going on. How long do you have to keep my friends here?" He asked.
"All your questions will be answered in time." She said, again keeping the answers from him. "But I have a question for you now." She said.
"Shoot." He replied. She looked at him with a puzzled expression.
"Shoot what?"
"Oh-never mind, it's an overland thing." He said. "Go ahead. What's your question?" She stopped him in the middle of the hall, and turned to face him.
"How long do you intend to stay here?Upon my word, whatever time you choose, it will be so." She said sternly and seriously. She would not hold him here against his will. He hadn't thought about it. He figured Vikus wanted him for something, and after that, he guess that he would probably return.
"I'm not sure. I guess whenever Vikus is done with me, unless you want me to stay longer. Whatever you need, I will do it before I leave. I won't leave you like I did last time." He reassured her, but he could see the sorrow in her eyes. She looked down sadly.
"I needed you..."