Chapter 15

Gregor woke up to a hand on his shoulder. A click with his tongue revealed an outline of Luxa. She put one finger to her lips, and motioned for him to follow her. The others were still sleeping, and they stepped lightly to keep from waking them. They walked through the darkness to a small cave away from the others. Howard was waiting for them. 

"We need to inform you of some things, Gregor" Howard said.

"What's wrong?" Gregor asked.

"Nothing. At least not yet." Luxa began, glancing at Howard. "in the chaos at our departure from Regalia, many details regarding this journey were postponed. You see, while you were away, Regalia has been suffering. The time following a war is never easy for the kingdom, at least that's what they've been telling me." she pushed her tiara higher up on her head in the darkness. "Yet, even when peace is achieved, well-being is often suspended. Relations between Gnawers and Humans have been problematic. Mareth, being the delegate for the Humans, had stepped in to fill Vikus' shoes directly following the war. The weeks and months following your departure were a diplomatic nightmare. No war was waged, but no one was pleased with the results." 

Gregor remembered how the war had ended. With the prophecy "fulfilled", the Gnawers and Humans formed an alliance. Part of it was for strength in unity against the powerful Diggers, but part was because everyone was so tired of war. A delegate was chosen from each kingdom, and they were supposed to decide borders, alliances, treaties and other formalities. Apparently, this did not go as well as suspected. Was there a possibility that another war between Gnawers and humans could happen? Three years of resentment could be long enough to turn allies against each other. Gregor shuddered at the thought.

"Our people, especially, weren't pleased" she said sadly, looking down. "there was so much death, so much pain, so much suffering. Regalia was in ruins. Mareth was outnumbered in that room of delegates. We were forced to shorten our borders. We lost so much during the war, and afterwards, we gained nothing back." 

Howard looked up, "Ripred and Luxa did their best to keep the peace. They were a barrier of sorts between the Gnawers and Humans. Both kingdoms damaged, both seeking retribution. There was unrest for years. While many Regalian citizens supported the queen and her efforts for reconciliation, there was fierce division. There were riots, and all manner of hatred. Luxa was unwilling to go back to war, knowing that it would only harm her kingdom. Eventually, there was even an assassination attempt. All those involved were banished to the deadlands."

"I'm assuming that's the New Race?" Asked Gregor.

"Yes," Luxa replied, still looking at her feet. "Regalia seemed united. It felt as though we were finally at peace. But just when we breathed a sigh of relief, Varius declared war." Gregor did not recognize the name. "He was the leader of the attempt on my life. He would have succeeded if not for Ripred. He saved my life." 

"This act solidified the alliance between the Gnawers and the Humans. However, even with the combined strength of Regalia and the Gnawers, we have been defeated time and time again in battle. In truth, we have little knowledge of how strong our opponent is." Howard sighed deeply. He looked at Gregor. "Things are not looking promising. Regalia's light is diminishing."

Gregor looked at his friends. This was not just another prophecy he had to fulfil. On his last trip, he had helped defend Regalia from an army of rats, but that was really all he had done. Sandwich's prophesies may or may not have been true, but if Gregor never fell into the Underland, then the Bane may still have been killed, and the code may still have been discovered. Yes, he was a rager and Lizzie was good at puzzles, but Gregor left the Underland believing that he was not special, that he never was. He was okay with this realization, too. With the Warrior dead, he was free to live his own life. But this. This was different. The prophecy did not even mention his name or the Warrior. If the Underlanders felt that they needed Gregor here, then the situation must be desperate. The fact that he is even here is proof that the New Race is the biggest threat that the Underland has ever faced. 

"I know that you do not believe in the prophecies, Gregor" Luxa looked into his eyes. "and Nerissa only wrote it the day after the assassination attempt. But whether what she says is true or not, you have a choice. I had already resolved that I would never see you again. Now that you're here, I am blessed to be able to at least say goodbye. But I am queen and I can arrange for you all to be taken home. No one would blame you for leaving. Not I, nor even Ioke." Gregor looked over his shoulder at the sleeping bat. He knew what she said was true. He knew that there was no one in the world keeping him from leaving. He looked at his friends, Harry and his father, Abby and Dr. Nyles; he thought of his family, Lizzie, his dad, Boots, his mother. If he stayed, he might never see his family again, not to mention risk all of his friend's lives here. It was an impossible decision. 

Howard added, "the Warrior is already dead. It would not be hard to kill Gregor as well. No one in Regalia would ever have to know that you left, not even Vikus." Gregor turned to Howard and Luxa. They stared at him, waiting for a response. He looked at Luxa, locking eyes with her. There was no light to reflect it, but he knew there were tears forming in her eyes. In that moment, he was resolved to stay.

"How could I leave you? This place is my home. Regalia is my home. If I left now, I would die. No, Luxa, I won't say goodbye. I will stay, and I will die to defend my home." He looked at her solemnly and seriously. "My family is safe, and I can rest knowing that they will be taken care of even if I die here. I could never rest if I left you. You are my family too." 

Luxa's face softened, but only a little. "But what of the other Overlanders? They have no need to die here" Gregor turned around once more, looking at the sleeping bodies upon the stone. They have families that they need to come back to. 

"Can we take them back before going on the journey?" Gregor asked, hoping.

"No. If we abandon the journey now, we would not be able to reach the Havens of Ash before the next attack." Time really was running short in the Underland. "Please understand that we hold ourselves responsible for the danger we have placed on these Overlanders. We will defend them with our lives if you choose to continue the journey."

Gregor squatted low, running his fingers along the cool stone as he gazed ahead at his friends. Four people, four souls, four lives. He felt a tremendous pressure to keep them safe. Their lives were in his hands. He felt as though the darkness weighed a million pounds. His hands were shaking with the stress. He knew, though, that there was no hope for the Underland if an alliance was not formed. He nodded his head silently. "We'll go" he said. 

He felt a cool hand grasp his own. It was Luxa. She squatted beside him and rested her head on his shoulder. Howard came up beside Gregor and placed a hand on his other shoulder. Gregor lifted her hand and pressed his lips to the soft skin. 

"We're family, right?"