Chapter Three

Y/N stretches her arms out above her head. The workload has been tiring, as usual, since the company wants two separate copies of a person's information. One to make the patient seem crazy but in good hands, and one to tell the truth. The woman kicks out of her position, moving the rolling chair back so she can grab her lunch. She stands and heads to the faculty cafeteria to eat, as she always does at three sixteen. Y/N makes sure to lock her room and leaves, tucking her keys in her pocket.

Y/N picks at her food. Her hunger isn't as strong as her desire to go home. Six more hours, she thinks. It isn't all too bad, though. New blood is sitting on the other side of the table. She ponders what to say to the nervous lad. His hands fidget with his fork. His eyes were, well, quite attractive. His light brown iris' were darting from his hands to his food.

"Nervous?" She finally says. His eyes reach hers. Y/N slips a hand under her chin, leaning on it. "What's got you so troubled?"

"Ah, it's... Uh, it's nothing. I-I'm fine." He attempts a smile, but the woman, a professional psychiatrist, could see through it.

"Aw, don't be like that. I'm one of those few trustworthy folks here. Completely confidential." She smiles at him, her eyes shining a little brighter. "I was nervous my first day as well. This place isn't exactly known for its friendliness once you start working here."

"It isn't my first day. I mean- I've been here for at least two weeks. I haven't left." His words leave a little more apprehensive than he meant them. He was lucky it was only the two of them in the room.

"Oh, your one of those guys. Sorry, I didn't know." She leans in, her H/C locks brushing her hand. "You must feel lonely here. I would feel honored to talk to you if you're ever up to it." The woman is honestly quite surprised at her new found confidence.

"It is a little off putting that I can't see my wife and kids. I have no means of contact with them and it's honestly driving me a little crazy." He chuckles, bringing his hand to his neck. This action shows off his wedding ring on his hand. Y/N's hopes admittedly dropped a little.

"I can't imagine. Unfortunately, it may be awhile before you get to talk to them. Murkoff is a little... well, you know." She tries to change the subject. "So, what do you do here?"

"I'm a computer consultant. I don't... no, it's nothing." He shakes his head. Y/N admires his blondish hair catching the dull lights of the room.

"You don't, what, like the work?" She lowers her voice, "I don't think any sane person does. I wish I could have gotten to you before you applied. Well, I wish I could take the place down, but we both know that's impossible." The woman clears her throat, takes a bite of her food, and continues. "So, computer consultant. That's big. Your family must be proud. Too bad I know what you've seen."

"Are you one as well?" He leans in, all too eagerly.

"Ah, no. I'm a psychiatrist here. I started as an intern, but they wouldn't let me leave with what I have seen. I'm just lucky I have no one nearby to tell about it, seeing as my nearest family is 1010.5 miles away." Her eyes flick toward the clock, and then back to the man. "I forgot to mention, my name is Y/N L/N. It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr..."

"Waylon Park. I'm just glad there's someone who isn't a total sadist here." She smiles but the conversation drops. "So... You're the first woman I've seen here."

"Oh, well, I think we still have two female receptionists, but yeah. This experiment that was going on really messed with some of the woman's minds. A lot of phantom pregnancies occurred to some of the women. Those that didn't die were locked up in some prison because, well, Murkoff isn't about to let them off with what they know about Mount Massive. Too much of a risk. And Blaire has connections everywhere. I got lucky, since I'm one of the only psychiatrists here and that I haven't shown any signs of mental disruptions. They let me continue working." She scraped what was left of her pudding and tossed her lunch into the garbage.

"So, what, am I never going to see my family again?" Waylon's voice raised, slightly panicked.

"No, no, I wouldn't say that. It's just not likely to be any time soon." She muttered the last part. Her break was almost over, so she reached into her bag and pulled out a card. "Visit my office if you need someone to talk to. Don't do anything reckless, okay?"

"Uh, yeah, sure. I'll see you later, Ms.L/N." Waylon turns the card over in his hand. Y/N gathers her things and leaves the room, unaware of the plan Waylon has going through his mind.