Water Rapids (Chapter 9)

I forgot how large the camp grounds are, because the car ride to the water park was longer than expected.

"Do you think there is a lot of traffic to Water Rapids because it's so nice out?" I ask.

"It's possible" dad answers back while driving.

I'm looking out the window and it's so nice to get out and see the rest of the camp ground. I think back to Elliot and feel bad for him. He's probably still doing dishes.

I decide to text him. 'How did kitchen duty go?'

As I put my phone away I happen to notice Riley watch me. She mouths the name Elliot and I nod. We both begin to laugh.

"What happened?" Cole asks looking outside with his sunglasses covering his eyes.

Riley looks at me. I respond, "Nothing, we're just so excited for the rides"

"You are excited for the rides? I find that hard to believe." Cole retorts.

I guess I should have just said I was excited in general.

"[y/n] sweetie, you're thinking of trying the big rides today?" dad asks looking at me from his mirror.

"Stop, don't pressure her. [y/n] you do whatever you want, today is about having fun. Remember you can always join Barbara and I again at the little pools by the sun chairs." mom smiles.

I smile up thinking back to how relaxing that actually sounds.

"Don't worry, I'll join you [y/n]! We can swim together!" Riley beams while side hugging me in the car. She then looks over at Cole and adds, "Cole, you can join us too!"

"OK" Cole exhales while continuing to look out the window.

Riley is starting to get antsy in the car, and when this happens she usually becomes cranky or silly. I can tell she is beginning to mold into her silly persona.

"So will you?" Riley laughs while continuing to look over at Cole.

"Will I what?" Cole answers like he is interrupted from a deep thought.

"Swim with [y/n] and I at the pool section?" she asks while moving her face up to his.

"Like I said before" Cole pauses to move Riley's head back with his own, "I'll swim with you later... after I go on the rides with KJ".

"Do you think the lines to these rides will be long?" I ask still considering if I should give at least one ride a chance.

Cole's eyes widen a bit noticing my slight new interest in possibly changing my mind. "Probably not, this park is pretty organized so they move fast."

"I don't know honey, some of these lines do last a while. Keep that in mind Cole when you pick a ride with KJ." mom chimes in.

Cole buries his face in his hands and lets out a sigh of defeat from mom's comment. Riley can't help but giggle.

Still face in palms, Cole manages to move his body against Riley, causing her to lean onto me.

Wanting this weight to move away, I laugh out, "Ok, maybe I'll try one ride"

"Really?" everyone responds in the car.

"Maybe! But again, no..." I begin to speak.

"Pressure. Yeah, we heard you the first thousand times" Cole rolls his eyes but still manages to smile.

"Well [y/n], start thinking about what you'll do because we are officially here!" dad announces pulling into the parking lot of Water Rapids.