Down at the Lake (Chapter 5)

I wake up to the sweet smell of pancakes, so I know dad must be up. And from the smell of coffee, mom is definitely up too.

I slowly get out of bed, and notice that Riley is also awake- she's not in her rocking chair pullout bed.

"Good morning" I greet everyone while stretching out my arms into a yawn.

"Good morning, sweetie. How about I make you a plate of some pancakes" dad says while kissing me on the head.

I smile up and take a seat at the kitchen table next to Riley.

"I was so tired last night that I fell asleep right away. What about you?" Riley asks looking up at me.

"I actually think I slept well too. I was exhausted and don't even remember falling asleep. I'm just so glad we are finally here." I smile while thanking dad for the pancakes. They are drooping with blueberries and syrup, just how I like them.

Cole and KJ walk into the cabin from outdoors looking really sweaty.

"Where did you two go?" mom asks concerned.

"We went for a run. Remember I mentioned it to you last night?" Cole nonchalantly asks while plopping himself down next to me.

"Cole, I was probably half asleep then." mom chuckles, but still has a concerned tone.

"Sorry, I'll make sure I ask you when you're more awake." Cole replies quickly with his eyes looking up from his head laying on the palms of his hands. He is trying to send the message for this little convo to end since KJ is still in the cabin. But KJ doesn't care, he's already made himself at home; sitting on our couch and checking his text messages.

"Alright, who wants some more pancakes?" dad asks with a smile in an attempt to move on to a more laid back environment.

While my parents are arranging things in the kitchen, I can't help but notice Cole check his phone and then quickly smile at KJ. I feel like something is up. Maybe they snuck out for more than a run? Maybe they went to a party or something with kids their age. I'm just speculating. But with it being summer, I could picture the two of them letting loose.

I quickly look down at my almost half eaten plate of pancakes to act like I didn't catch what might be going on with those two.

__________________________________________

We finally all make it down to the lake! I love this part of the camp site. The water is clear and it just smells like nature everywhere. Everyone finds their place here; mom and Barbara are on lawn chairs chatting away as always. Dad and David stroll down the perimeter of the lake while laughing about something, probably an old story they share from college. KJ and Cole are testing out the new slides with Riley and Ariel. I'm just chilling with Jess and the edge of the lake. With my feet in the lake and the sun on my back, I'm loving this summer day.

"I love how there is no chlorine smell at the lake." smiles Jess as she runs her feet through the tip of the lake.

"Yeah, that's true. I don't really mind chlorine except for when it irritates my eyes."

"Oh, I was thinking more for my hair. It's not the best for keeping your hair silky and strong."

"Really?" I ask squinting at her, trying to avoid getting the sun in my eyes.

"I think so. That's what my hairdresser says."

"Well maybe she has a deal going on with lakes and not with pools. I'm just kidding, i'm just kidding!" I chuckle.