part 10

The next couple nights Neal appears again in the back yard. She doesn’t open the window again, but that doesn’t stop him from telling her he loves her. Emma ignores him. Whenever he comes by after that first night she tells her parents. Everytime David grabs his shotgun and when he gets to the backyard Neal is gone.

One night, Emma pads downstairs in her purple, fuzzy slippers for a glass of water. She enters the kitchen and flicks the light on. Emma gasps and stops in her tracks. Neal is sitting at her kitchen table like he owns the damn place. Emma slowly backs into the wall. How did he get in here? The house is locked tight every night.

“Wondering how I got in here? The lock on our back door is easy to pick.”

“You need to leave,” Emma says through her teeth.

“We need to talk,” he says calmly. Emma wants to run away, but she doesn’t know what he will do. She just shakes her head. He pulls out a knife. Her heart beat quickens.

“Sit. Now.” He demands. She sits in the farthest seat from him.

“You scream and I will hurt you with this,” He threatens as he waves the knife. He keeps the knife in his right hand.

“What I did to you was inexcusable. I know, but after I left I realized how lost I am without you. I need you. I will do anything to make it up to you. I’ll do whatever you need me to do,” he pleads.

“Anything?” She asks with a raised eyebrow.

“Anything your heart desires,” He smiles. What a cheesy line. like that would work on her. She examines his face. He really believes that she will forgive him. Boy, is he in for a rude awakening.

“Leave,” Emma states. He drops the knife and looks shocked. Did he really think this begging bullshit would work on her? What an idiot.

“What?” his tone unbelieving. She stands.

“You heard me. Leave and never come back. That’s what you can do for me. It’s what I need.” He stands and moves toward her. She tenses. He had left the knife on the table, but she knows he doesn’t need that to hurt her. All her defense training has gone out the window now that Neal is in front of her.

“Please, don’t tell me to leave,” he moves his hand up to her face. Before it can even reach its mark Emma slaps his hand away.

“You lost the right to touch me,” she growls. All the blood rushes to his face and he starts breathing heavy. In return he slaps her. She stumbles back into the wall.

“I do what I want. You should know that by now.” He grabs her shirt and punches her in the eye. She needs to alert her parents. She lets out a blood curdling scream. He punches her again and this causes her to fall to the floor. He gets on top of her and continually punches her. All her efforts against him are useless. Nothing she seems to do affects him. Emma can taste the blood in her mouth. Finally David arrives and pulls Neal off Emma. David punches Neal. Neal stumbles into the kitchen table. David ensures he is between Neal and Emma. Neal sees this and picks up the knife. He fends off David with the knife.

“You can’t protect her and fight me, old man. I’m going to leave, but I’ll be back,” Neal says as he backs out of kitchen. He sprints out of the house and into the night.  

David rushes to Emma’s side. Her lip and eyebrow is cut. She has bruises forming on her left eye and jaw. Tears are streaming down her face.

“Is he gone?” She groans.

“He is gone. We need to get you to a hospital.” David says and she nods. Mary Margaret runs in she gasps when she sees her daughter.

“Oh my god. That monster. I’ll go start the car,” She says as she runs out. David slowly helps Emma up. They walk out to the car. David drives like a bat out of hell. Emma wipes away the tears. No more tears over Neal. He simply isn’t worth it.