Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

 "Not a chance," I scoff at the notion of tapping out now.

 "Natasha, where are you and Thor with those handcuffs?" Captain Rogers takes a moment to catch his breath.

 "On our way," Agent Romanoff's line sounds extremely busy.

 "But you said that ten minutes ago!"

 "I found a faster ride."

 I look up and see Thor holding onto Agent Romanoff as they fly down to the ground. Thor cracks the ground where he lands, sending the near Titans flying backwards.

 "Told you we found a faster ride," Natasha walks over to us with a limp. Captain Rogers gives her a questioning look, "Sometimes when you think you've taken one down, they surprise you by grabbing your ankle and pulling you down too."

 "Ah," He nods as Natasha pulls out the handcuffs, but Thanos disappears once again.

 "Thor, you'll be-" Agent Romanoff doesn't have time to finish her sentence as the god begins to spin Mjolnir and rockets up into the sky. "Thor! And why didn't we give him an earpiece?"

 "Because he didn't understand how to use it," Captain Rogers retorts.

 "I was going to tell him that he'd be-" Once again she is unable to finish her sentence as the higher ranked Titans fire at us with their Uru scepters.

 I am able to stand my ground; however, Agent Romanoff and Captain Rogers are shot backwards and land on a vehicle. Guttural sounds of pain escape their lips as they try to stand back up. Agent Romanoff manages to heave herself off of the car only to fall forward on her knees. Her hands grasp her head as she struggles to just stay on her knees. Agent Romanoff's hands desperately search for something to grab onto to maintain her balance, but they find nothing. Captain Rogers drops to her level to try and support her. I see the handcuffs lying next to me by a pile of rubble. I know it is up to me now.

 I grab the handcuffs and fly upwards into the sky, "Tony, I'm going after Thanos."

 "What? What happened to Romanoff?" His voice raises a bit higher than I have ever heard it.

 "She's down for this battle. And we both know that Captain Rogers won't be able to face Thanos alone," I state, knowing the average protective gear will do little against such a threat.

 "What about Thor?"

 "He just flew off somewhere."

 "Dammit, I swear when we get back I'm making him a fool-proof earpiece," Tony grumbles frustratedly.

 "I have eyes on Thanos," I alert the group as Lucis flashes a red circle on the map on my visuals screen, "He's at the underground drainage facility on the river. I'm almost to him."

 "The sewer facility?" Agent Barton reconfirms.

 "Yes," I respond, instigating for both Tony and Clint to shout in agony.

 "Shit, that's where Coulson's next safe spot is!" Tony grunts in frustration, "Stay put, I'm coming to you."

 "No, if we waste any more time thousands of lives are going to be at risk," I argue as the graph on my visuals screen begins to blink red, "I'm getting high readings of energy from the building; there's no time to waste."

 "Monica, I can't let you do this," Tony's voice is strained.

 "You're going to have to," I respond as I near the sewer plant.

 "Does any-... copy? We n-... help here," Captain Roger's desperate voice calls out, "Agent Romanoff... down."

 "I-I..." Tony hesitates.