"Did she her me say it?" She nodded. "Did she care?"

Caroline didn't speak, thumbing the forgotten notebook once more. " I have never seen something so heartbreaking. Honestly remembering her face makes me feel even worse because I knew she liked you too."

"She doesn't like me."

"Oh but she does. In a big way."

This was news to me. Caroline was saying that Dylan, the hot and cold avoiding type liked me? She couldn't possibly with the way that she treated me. One minute she was extremely adorable and just as I remember her. Then the next she was brushing me off like I was lint that she wanted to get rid of.

"Dylan can't like me. She can barely stand to be around me."

Caroline grinned widely. "You know, you are really cute but also really dumb. She can't stand to be around you because I'm sure she just loves you too much."

"That's ridiculous."

Caroline leans forward, wide grin turning into a smug smirk. "Then why don't you go ask her? No harm right?"

"There is so much harm. Are you forgetting that she could completely break my heart?"

"She won't." She said. We smile at each other for a moment.

I felt so stupid for the second time in such as short time span.

This was Caroline.

Caroline was who so sweet and so flirty from the beginning. She was the girl that I wanted because I knew I couldn't have her. Caroline spoke up and knew what she wanted and what she wanted happened to be me. Caroline was the girl who actually liked me. Caroline was romantic, with her words and her thoughtfulness.

I wanted Caroline to be in my life because I had no one else to love me. But that just wasn't enough. Caroline had never seen me at my weakest, she didn't feel like peace but rather the possibility of something more. Caroline didn't make me feel the way that I felt about Dylan. The things I felt about Caroline were nice but was that enough for me to feel strongly about her?

I was not in love with her.

I knew I wasn't in love with her because the truth was that I didn't really know her at all and she didn't know me. Together we were too wrapped up in the possibility of love, that we took that as face value for what it meant to be with someone. Just because Caroline was always so sweet to me and so kind didn't mean that we needed to be together. That wasn't the deeper substance that a relationship should have.

All these years that I have known Dylan she has been there for me, and that was the reason that I had fell for her in the first place.

I couldn't believe how easily I had forgotten.

" I'm going to ask her."

" Of course you are." Caroline starts to gather her things, then finally sliding the notebook back over to me. "I didn't actually read it. I have seen you so many times writing in this notebook and I just let my curiosity get the best of me. I didn't know it would be personal letters. I'm sorry."

I didn't feel mad at her like I should have felt. I felt butterflies in my stomach at the thought of Dylan liking me back. It was enough to make me feel sick even. But I was not mad. She hadn't read the letters so I had no reason to be. I didn't like that she went over my head to grab the notebook when she could have just asked but what done is done now.

But the strange part was that even though I was so sure that Caroline was the writer I'm glad that she was not. If she had been the writer that would have meant that our relationship had more substance then I had originally thought.