Overthinking

So this chapter is longer and maybe a little heavier depending on the way that you feel about things.

I realized that in past chapters I had never really flushed out Wren's family history with her father so this is me doing that but also just letting your guys get to know Wren more.

Also!!!! I wanted to mention that for the longest when I picture Dylan and Derek I picture them as Hispanic so I will be making a motion to put that within this book that they are Hispanic with in future chapters and past chapter. I will work to find actors that I think are most similar to them. I will also be changing their last name which I haven't figured out yet. So in the future if you know anyone hispanic or are Hispanic please let me know if I am portraying it correctly. I am not Hispanic and I don't want to offend anyone. I just see my characters as such.

Also I really hate adding song lyrics into a chapter but the song just fit the feelings I felt my character had so I just added it anyways. The song is Palace by Sam Smith.

Okay thanks lol!!!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Before Caroline took me home, to top off our date we walked Sora a little more. Then she took me out for some of the best ice cream I had ever had. It was the kind that you can pile high with toppings from a mile long topping bar. Caroline got frozen yogurt to spite me. Kisses were given of course to make me feel better.

When I got home it was after 8, so when I entered the house, I entered quietly knowing that the boys were probably already asleep or being put to sleep. Regardless of if it was the weekend, they still had a bedtime.

I assumed my mother was still not at home since Dylan's car was still parked out front.

As I passed the living room, I noticed it was spotless for which I was grateful for. Even though no one asked Dylan to, of course, she always felt the need to help clean up when she babysitted. She used to babysit often before she went AWOL. Dylan loved the boys and they loved her, so it was no-brainer my mom always took the liberty of calling Dylan before anyone else. Well, she did before anyways.

I made my way up the stairs, believing that Dylan was most likely in the boy's room. I knew I was correct when I could hear a light humming coming from down the hall.

I tipped toed quietly not wanting to wake either of the boys if they were sleep.

My steps slow when I saw Dylan, framed with a low orange light that is coming from the night light the boys had, but the room was otherwise dark. But I could see Dylan swaying back and forth with a smallish form lying on her, in her arms. She rubbed his back in slow-moving circles. I could see that her eyes were closed. I didn't know if she heard me or if she didn't care but she didn't' stop what she was doing.

I'm not one for snooping or spying but I couldn't help but stay in my spot to listen to her singing softly to my little brother. Her voice is not the best thing I have ever heard, though it is still nice and better than most, it's something about it that felt so haunting and somber.

They are empty, they are worn

Tell me what we built this for

On my way to something more

You're that one I can't ignore

I'm gonna miss you

I still care

Sometimes I wish we never built this palace

But real love is never a waste of time

I must have made a noise because Dylan stops swaying and faced me. She didn't look shocked or angry but rather just impassive. I could see her mouth twitch so I could tell that she was trying to keep her face neutral. I felt like a deer in headlights. I didn't know if I should leave or stay now that I was caught.