Chapter 16

-Grace

The miles slowly passed by. By nightfall I dozed off along with Samantha. But my sleep was restless, every noise would awake me. Around 5 the next day, I gave up on trying to get sleep.

The scenery was getting more rural. The country between each town was getting larger. A few hours later, Samantha yawned and stretched. Though sleepy eyes she glanced at me.

"Where are we?" I shrugged. "Any idea at all?"

"Not really."

"Oh." Her blue eyes were still hazey from sleep as she yawned again. "I hope that the driver will stop for coffee."

"I'm sure he will. We haven't stopped for a good hour or so."

"What pack are you from?"

"Excuse me? My pack?" She just nodded. "The Moons Riverside."

Her eyes softened. "Your not a rogue werewolf. You're the last one."

I nodded. "What coven are you from?"

"One in Seattle. And unlike you I was actually kicked out."

I hummed. "Where are you going?"

"New Orleans. The oldest and most powerful covens live there. And well they are a bit more accepting of abnormal gifts. You?"

"Just away from here."

"You're running from something." She assumed then smiled. "You can comr with me. "

"One problem with that I'm not a witch."

"No." Samantha smiled devilishly. "But, you could be sold off as a protector. My protector."

"Only royalty needs a protector. It wouldn't be believable. Plus you dont even know me. For all you know I'm a mass murder."

"All the better for a protector." She looked at her hands. "And I never said I wasn't royalty. "

The bus pulled to a stop. The driver announced we have ten minutes till the bus leaves again. Samantha practically ran to the store. I followed her around only half paying attention. Suddenly my wolf whined. 'Dark magic.'

Glacing around I didn't see anything strange. Until my eyes fell on the right hand of the cashier. The ring was dark magic. It was easy to tell not only from the markings but also the rotting flesh surrounding It.

Samantha was headed towards the counter with her coffee. She didn't know I realized. "Samantha no!"

Her head snapped in my direction at the sound of her name. But, unfortunately so did the dark wizards. His spell to hide in sight was wearing thin. His true form would soon be out for all of the humans to see.

The thing jumped over the counter. Breathing out with foul smells it spoke. "She's mine."

My wolf took over. Her protectiveness was much more raw than mine. As a wolf it was magnified. Our silver fur and white teeth were soon in place. A growl escaped my lips as Samantha slid behind me. By now the dark wizards cover was almost woren out.

"One of Alexei's pups." He giggled creepily. How did he know that? "Master will be so happy with me."

Lightning formed at his fingertips. I pushed off the ground at him dodging the shot. Samantha followed me without hesitation. "We have to get out of here."

She was right. The next strick I dodged effortlessly but Samantha wasn't so lucky. It hit the side of her leg a scream announced that the lightning found its mark. Were in trouble now.

The hi t had knocked her out. And I was the next target. Within a second I stood on my two human feet. I had a hiden advantage that I would never use unless I had too.

In my bag, I grabbed the handle of the small knife. Pulling it up by my head I drew back and let it fly so it could find it's mark. And that it did. The Wizard dropped back grasping at its throat.

Picking up Samantha I left the wizard to his death as the two of us fleed.